Duplo DBM 120T Problem

Discussion in 'Collator-Booklet Maker Systems' started by Printstuf, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Printstuf

Printstuf New Member

Hi we recently installed a second hand Duplo 5000 Collator with DBM120 Stitcher and folder and
    DBM 120 T Trimmer. Everything works OK apart from the trimming unit, when turned on it will run for 5 seconds then stops and the blade drops down. If you open up the clear cover on the top and close it again, it will repeat what previously happend. No fault shows up on the displays,
    Has anyone come across this before or got any advice,
    Thanks

2. seagull

seagull Member

Yes that's what it does. When you start it should raise up and run

3. Mark Daniels

Mark Daniels New Member

Hi Printstuf,

I have a DMB-120 & DBM-120T and the trimmer is doing exactly what you have described here. What did you do to fix yours? Mine never raises up to accept the feed from the DBM-120

Thanks!

Mark

4. seagull

seagull Member

Make sure your communication settings are correct. If you open it's cover does stapler show error? When you start stapler unit trim should start and raise up.

5. Mark Daniels

Mark Daniels New Member

I believe everything is correct. I can run the DBM-120 stand alone. When I connect the DBM-120T the DBM-120 still works like normal but the trimmer does not raise up and start running, it just sits there. I can open the cover on the trimmer and it resets its self like normal but does not stay up and start running. I have watched several videos of how it should act and it looks normal. When the trimmers in the video stay up and start running this one just drops the blade and beeps really fast maybe 6 times. No errors are ever displayed. I have tried using the round connecter alone, ethernet alone, and then both at the same time. Nothing changes. The trimmer does power on and off with the DBM-120 and if I remove the ethernet cable the trimmer powers down. I do have multiple round cables and multiple ethernet cables so I have tried different cables. This one has me stumped. I am also having an intermittent issue where the DMB-120 does not stay running in continuous operation. You hit start, it runs, drop a stack of paper in, does it thing, and then stops running and goes back to"ready", hit the green button and drop in another stack.

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Mark

6. seagull

seagull Member

This is the way it should work. Some of these switches are up and some down. I'm trying to remember the correct position. Flick top cover switch of stapler to on. This should turn on trimmer also. This is the only switch you should use. If it doesn't turn stapler on go to lower right corner flip that little switch. Now go back to top flip that switch off then on. Trimmer on??
    If not go to lower left cover of trimmer little picture of trimmer and trimmer with booklet maker. Turn it to the combo. Power off stapler and back on again. Ok?? If not I think there is another small switch near the combo try flipping that one. Power back off then on.
    If that doesn't I'll ask one of my customers to check their switches.

7. seagull

seagull Member

Oh the cables. Blue internet cable out of stapler #2 into trim #1. Black cable same. Out of 2 into 1
    When it's correct and you power on, green start will get belts moving and trimmer should raise. When you stop, the blade stops down. Start again it raises back up.

8. Mark Daniels

Mark Daniels New Member

That is the way I have them hooked up and when I turn the stapler on the trimmer does come on but it doesn’t raise up and doesn’t start running. It just sits at a “ready” screen. Nothing I do will make the trimmer start running. I can hit the green button on the stapler and it starts running but the trimmer never runs or resets. If I open the cover of the trimmer and close it then resets and raises up and back down but never starts spinning. At that point it makes several very fast beeps.

thanks!

9. seagull

seagull Member

So maybe the first question is this machine new to you or has it been running and all of a sudden started this problem? A couple more simple ones if you open the cover in the trimmer do you get an error back on the booklet maker? I think if you hold down the center key on the booklet maker the jog key I think it will start the trimmer belts as well as raise the blade up does it do that? It just for some reason doesn't sound like the two units are communicating with each other The green button on the booklet maker should start up both machines and raise up the trimmer blades like it's ready for operation

10. seagull

seagull Member

Ok my customer says
    Stapler switch up
    Trimmer up
    Combo switch down
    These are the ones on the side of machine

11. Mark Daniels

Mark Daniels New Member

New to me but was said to be working. Holding the jog wheel button does nothing. I also tried holding the green start button. Just the stapler runs. Opening the door on the trimmer does not pop an error or any kind of message on the stapler. It does seem like they are not communicating. I have both the circle cable and the Ethernet cable connected. Switches are all set as you described. it also came with a very short circle cable and a short Ethernet which were both new in the package and I have tested them as well. Seems like some sort of internal setting. I have accessed the advanced config menu and I do not see anything that looks like it would turn them on or change the communication.

12. seagull

seagull Member

Remove the black cable and see. If you lift up the trimmer cover and it doesn't say error on the staple unit it is definitely not communicating now we just have to figure out why. I have not set one up in a number of years I'm trying to remember if there is a setting on the booklet maker for a collator type feeding unit and that's what's causing the communication issue because you don't have that.

13. seagull

seagull Member

How are you doing?? maybe have to go a bit deeper in the controls

14. seagull

seagull Member

Did you happen to get the booklet maker running I went by a machine the other day and I recorded where the switches should be.