duplex coated stock on dc242?

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by markm, May 27, 2009.

1. markm

markm Member

I have seen this mentioned, but am not certain what the absolute answer is.

Can you duplex coated stock on a docucolor 242?

We need to print mohawk 50/10 32# gloss, coated 2 sides.

Thanks, Mark

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I am not able to duplex coated on my docucolor 242, not even coated 1.

It physically works if you call the paper something other than coated in the drawer (accidentally did this when I first got the machine and left the drawer set to plain -- it did work fine for 10 copies of a 20 page book on coated, no jams and good print quality), but there must be a reason why xerox specifically doesn't allow it to duplex when coated is loaded in the drawer so I don't do it.

3. markm

markm Member

thanks

Jeff, Thanks,

We ultimately went with the C1+ because of the paper handling. Otherwise, image quality of the DocuColor would have been good enough.

Mark

4. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Duplexing coated seems to be the dc242's Achilles heal (unless you force it by calling it plain which works ok in an emergency but I wouldn't want to do it as a regular plan since there must be a reason it's disallowed.)

Most of the time it's fine for us because we're doing runs of 1,000 or 1,200 so work and turn isn't a big deal (except for stocks that curl in the output tray) but in other environments I can see how it would be a make or break feature (would be interesting if any tech reading this can reply as to why xerox disallowed duplexing coated on the dc242/252).

In this somewhat tight economy though the difference in price will pay for a lot of hours of me turning stacks.

Hope you'll post a quick review of how the C1+ works out for you after a month or so... I really wanted to get the C1 when we were all canon here but I couldn't quite swing it then. Interested to hear how it works out real-world and with some clicks on it.

5. markm

markm Member

will do

Once I get to know the machine I'll post something. This is our first foray in the digital press arena. Thanks again for your help.