Doutone printing

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by dclgraphics, Dec 27, 2007.

1. dclgraphics

dclgraphics Member

Hi.

I'm new to the forum, looking for some feedback.
    on our two color doutone printing using a AB Dick 8820 printing press with a T-head, using 185 red and black.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. shotski

shotski Member

Looks good to me. what size ( image and sheet ) is the 8802? I run a 9810 with a t51 and wouldn't get one half of that page to register. I think the cylinders are different sizes.

3. dclgraphics

dclgraphics Member

The 8820 Ab dick press is like a 360, print up to 11x17 sheet.
    both sample are printed on 8.5x11 sheet.

4. dclgraphics

dclgraphics Member

Is there a market for duotone printing?

Looking for some feedback.

Thanks

David C. Lopez

5. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

Hi,

Difficult question..........."is there a market"

It all depends what the end customer wants.

Regards.

6. dclgraphics

dclgraphics Member

Maybe if there is a market is the wrong question.

How many printing job in one or two color with a photo in the job did
    you print last year, and how many were in duotone?

One of the things I see a lot of is black in white photos or four color process photos.
    I'm trying to offer my customers a little more on their two color jobs with photos at two color prices.

David C. Lopez

7. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

Hi,

I don't do much in the way of printing these days as i am generally training and troubleshooting.
    I havn't seen too much duotone printing in the last year or so and the jobs i have seen, have been black with a metalic colour.

Regards.

8. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

David nice job on those!! I've seen (and printed) some really ugly looking duotones. But it's what the client wanted so... LOL. You get some nice contrast with the 185 and K. Cyan and K also. Like Mr H said you can do some nice ones with metallics. Back before the digital craze (80's) duotones were pretty popular as a cost effective option to full color work. Done right they are a nice option to the 2 color block seperation look. Giving that "little extra" touch is a nice service.

9. dclgraphics

dclgraphics Member

Thanks FFR428!!
    We get the best contrast with 185 and K, our goal is to bring back 2 color duotone to compete with internet gang-printer in the area of full color flyers. We do have a lots of customers with one or two color flyers and our goal is to give then that little extra touch. As a one and two color printer we do outsource full color items that we are not equipped to do.

David C. Lopez

10. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Well I hope you get some of that work back. Those online places have taken quite a chuck of local business away. Most of our customers like the fact they can walk into the shop and meet with the designer. Unlike the online places you send your file and hope for the best!! LOL. Good luck I hope it brings in some more work for you.

11. MidwestPrinting

MidwestPrinting New Member

We have done duotones for years with the same process except using a 9910 with T-51. To us it = marginal success. The last one we did the customer came in and OK'd proofs off the press but I was sick... it looked BAD. So I yanked the job and we ran it our 28" Roland. It was NIGHT and DAY different.

Common blanket is just NOT the way to run a Duotone...PERIOD. Sure you might get fair results and if you and your customer are happy then thats good, but for us quality is everything and we just wont do it that way anymore. We now run them on our Ryobi 3302 or on the Roland. Even off our Xerox 7760 the results are WAY better.

12. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

While I agree 100% multiple blanket presses are the way to go.....some shops don't have the luxury of that and have to run common blanket. Any pressman that's worth a hoot will KNOW how to pull it off. Color rotation, ink tack all play into factor. Running common blanket machines for some 20 years you learn a thing or 2 about what you can and can't do. And what you can't you learn to work around it. So to me it's not so much the machine but the pressman running it that makes the difference. JMO.....;)

13. dclgraphics

dclgraphics Member

Midwestprinting can you post some of your two color duotone samples using the Ryobi 3302 or the Roland.

David C. Lopez

14. MMPDan

MMPDan Member

First off, we print a very nice piece as a duotone. There is a market if a customer wants it.. that simple. We only print this for one customer, about $8,000 job once a year. Metallic Green and Black. I agree, a quality operator maked the difference. I am wondering, if you have a 3302 AND a Rolland, why were you attempting this off the 9910??