Does Fiery overwrite Acrobat settings?

Discussion in 'Fiery RIPs' started by KDSJosh, Aug 6, 2009.

1. KDSJosh

KDSJosh New Member

We printed several .pdf documents that we printed over the past few weeks that printed as CMYK, instead of Greyscale. Unfortunately we found this out after the fact. What's done is done but I need to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Now to the question. I have the exact same Preset Job Template on 2 different PCs. When I print from one, it's fine...but the other prints all B&W pages as CMYK. I've checked and rechecked the files in Acrobat to make sure there wasn't any rich black in them.

Is it a difference in Acrobat? Why would that matter??
    I assumed that what I chose in the Fiery Print Dialog would overwrite anything else.

Any suggestions and/or solutions are welcome!

Thanks.

2. nicnaknet

nicnaknet Member

How were you getting the documents to the Fiery? Were you printing from Acrobat? If you are printing from Acrobat Professional then under the Advanced button in the print dialog there are are settings around colour management that will produce the effect you are describing.

A safer way is usually to import the PDF files direct into the Fiery (either via Hot Folders or import into CWS) as this means that your CM settings within Acrobat won't cause you problems.

3. FastColorInColumbia

FastColorInColumbia Member

From our experiences with Command work station everything overrides Fiery. PDFs, Indesign, Planetpress, microsoft crap, powerpress (harliquean). Are you just using one specific print driver when you print? We keep multiple print drivers set for certin settings and use as needed. If you accidently have more than 2 drivers the settings can be different and unknowingly using both.