Does any one prints high quality Photo Book with Xerox? (DC242/252/260 or similar?)

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by Carlob, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Carlob

Carlob Member

I just right now discover this sub forum, so i hope it is not a problem to post my question here, too?

I'm photographer, also a good one.
    That mean that all my photos are really professional. I would like to offer Photo book in my studio, to be able to actually advertise my photo services more.

But as i live in rather poor country, i can't afford new printer. Actually, maybe i could lease some, but it simply can't pay off itself.

So, I'm thinking about used DC 242/252/260 with some ~400.000 prints on it.
    Used one fits my budget and always can be resold, if i can't make reasonable profit.

I can take some really nice photos, but I'm in doubt if DC 242/252/260 can give nice print, if photo is top one.

So, i would like to hear from fellow photographers or any one who actually produce photo books with earlier Xerox machines, does print quality satisfy you?

I would like to have, nice, vivid, life like photos with realistic colors. Skin color is especially important. No one likes to have some strange skin color & texture.

Also, i would like to know, do you use original Xerox paper or some other, branded one, or you just ordinary offset paper.

I like gloss paper, and have intention to print photos for photo books on Xerox SRA3 Colotech+ Gloss Digital Paper 140 or 170gsm.

I'm thinking that for the beginning, using best is the way to go, especially because, paper cost for one photo book can't be bigger than dollar or two, for paper.

Also, yesterday i have visited one facility, where they use (like new) Xerox Color 1000 for printing. And to be honest, i'm not too impressed with that dull, "offset" like prints. Actually, that was everything but offset. Very narrow dynamic range, solid surfaces wasn't solid and gradients wasn't too ideal. On the other side, paper was just plain mate offset paper, without any gloss, so... i would like to see a print from Xerox Color 1000, but on some great paper and with good photo.

To return on topic, I'm still waiting to see with my own eyes such great prints from DC 242/252/260.

To be honest, Ricoh 751 was knock me down, when i saw the prints, but it is absolutely above my price range right now. (and to forget horror stories i have read about it). Also, in my country, Ricoh rep is very educated and he owns his own small print shop, and Xerox "reps" are just a bunch of "kids", with low wages, who don't knows anything (they were unable to print properly my test file on our lost show, what Minolta did in a second!!!).
    Minolta is in between. Good reps, good prints, but machine still double above what i can finance. Also, "a click" is a bit on a pricey side, too.

So, for now, my only choice is used DC 252/260.

I'm more then thankful for any insights.