Docucolors Printing CMYK when should be Greyscale

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by KDSJosh, Aug 6, 2009.

1. KDSJosh

KDSJosh New Member

Hi.
    We have a 252 and a 260. We printed several .pdf documents over the past few weeks that printed as CMYK, instead of Greyscale. Unfortunately we found this out after the fact. What's done is done but I need to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Now to the question. I have the exact same Preset Job Template on 2 different PCs. When I print from one, it's fine...but the other prints all B&W pages as CMYK. I've checked and rechecked the files in Acrobat to make sure there wasn't any rich black in them.

Is it a difference in Acrobat? Why would that matter??
    I assumed that what I chose in the Fiery Print Dialog would overwrite anything else.

Any suggestions and/or solutions are welcome!

Thanks.

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Weird. Are you using the fiery gui driver where you click the colorwise tab and hit the radio button for "grayscale" vs. standard/expert color? (here that does override any colors/rich black in the origin file, or alternately when printing from coreldraw where we have to use the ppd file going to cmyk mode and setting it to grayscale in the driver)

3. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

The Grayscale under colorwise is what works for us. Black or Color under another tab doesn't.

Another secret I took forever to find is the headings in Command Workstation can be modified - Add Color Mode to Active Jobs (CWS4) or Printing, Processing (CWS5) now you will know whats printing as its printing. Its a great excuse to have a 2nd monitor on your computer system.

If you add Color and Black columns under job log you will know how many pages of each are in a file.

And in the Driver right clicking ShortCuts allows adding or removing headings,
    I delete Layout - that I never use and add Print Size which should have been named Sheet Size and is important to have beside Page Size.

Ken Graham
    CommunityPrinters.com

4. aidan

aidan Member

Grayscale printing as Rich black?

I can help anybody with this problem:
    My company website is www.silverbanana.com.
    Anyone wanting to know about this problem can contact me on.
    xeroxproblem@silverbanana.com

I have more than 10 years experience in this field and on a range of rips CREO, FIERY, SPLASH.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  5. aidan

aidan Member

Jeff, why do you say gui or graphical user interface are you meaning to say an executable driver install as oppose to a manual printer page description install?

6. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I was wondering if the "graphical" fiery driver was being used where the options are organized under tabs and subsections (e.g. colorwise tab) or whether a ppd was being used where the options are glumped together.

7. aidan

aidan Member

Got ya,
    But the submit options would be the same not sure about the bi-directional support though.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• tab.png
      tab.png
      File size:
      125.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  8. aidan

aidan Member

grey printing as color

Whta did Xerox have to say about this problem?

9. aidan

aidan Member

Weird

10. aidan

aidan Member

I have experienced this problem before.

Weird!

11. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

In your case Aidan it appears you are using a Creo not a Fiery according to the image posted so your choice of Color with blacks printing as Gray might cause a color click if any color was present. Also if any crop marks were turned on even if off the page as they are 100% CMYK.

For those with Fiery's turn on the columns to show if color or Black printed in the job log and printed areas - it will cost you a set to find out which way its printing. Setting to Greyscale instead of cmyk or expert mode will override and cause a black click.

Ken

12. rickb77904

rickb77904 New Member