Digital offset vs. conventional offset

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by saipansmall, Jan 22, 2014.

1. saipansmall

saipansmall New Member

Hi. We are interested in your heidelberg. We want to know if it is working? Why are you selling it? where are you located? Price? Also if you can come to our location, Saipan, at our expense for at least two days for training and also checking of machine. Thank you! We hope to hear back from you!

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi, and exactly whom did you address these questions to? General forum or particular member?

3. saipansmall

saipansmall New Member

Whoops

Hi,

Sorry Guys, I seem to have posted the wrong message as It was 4 am my time when I posted this. Here is the real message I wanted to post.

Hi Guys, New member here. Thought this was the appropriate place to post this, apologies in advance if it was not.

I've read numerous posts about buying offset printing presses on the forums, but the offset machine being discussed is either a conventional offset machine or a digital printer. I want to know the difference between a conventional offset printer vs. a digital offset printer.

I want to know the difference between something like the Presstek 52DI or Presstek 75DI and a ABDick 9980 or ABDick 9995C Two-Tower Offset Press. Also does two tower press mean two color offset machine?

I would also like to know where I can ,not fully master, but understand the basics of offset printing. I am inexperienced when it comes to operating an offset printer however my mom owns an existing printing company and has numerous machines, albeit old in style/method/and prepress we wtill make plates in a dark room. Reason for me asking is that we are looking to expand and I am researching into which offsetprinter to buy.

Also, if you guys would be so kind as to mention any new machines or methods in offset printing i'd greatly appreciate that!

P.s. I live on a small island called Saipan, it is a U.S. territory and was an island once under Japanese rule during wwii. Please come and visit us! We have around four or more golfcourses and temperatures average 37 degrees celcius all year-round. Our oceans are clean and air fresh!

4. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

I want to know the difference between something like the Presstek 52DI or Presstek 75DI and a ABDick 9980 or ABDick 9995C Two-Tower Offset Press. Also does two tower press mean two color offset machine? >>> While they both consider being an offset presses, PressTek DI are super automated offset press with addition of platemaking system built in to it. It uses proprietary plate material that repels specially formulated ink in un-imaged areas and it does not use water at all. If you think of one, find out how is presstek is represented in your area - you will need their support, plates, etc. - With that machine you can pretty much illuminate your whole pre-press procedure as it goes from file to make plates, register, set ink keys, everything within the press in about 10 min or so but once again - it is a complex machine and plates are espencive. Yes 2 tower press is usually means 2 color but there are exceptions - Man Roland, I think, has a press where they managed to have 2 plate cylinders and 2 inking units within 1 tower - Rapida 72K is the model number, I think - google/youtube it if you interested.

I would also like to know where I can ,not fully master, but understand the basics of offset printing. I am inexperienced when it comes to operating an offset printer however my mom owns an existing printing company and has numerous machines, albeit old in style/method/and prepress we wtill make plates in a dark room. >>> You already have access to the print facility - that is the best way, besides you are in position to ask any questions you want if anyone refuses to answer - call your mom :) Learn it an old fashion way - PressTek will be piece of cake and more reason to appreciate modern technology.

Reason for me asking is that we are looking to expand and I am researching into which offsetprinter to buy. >>>> There are way too many to choose from, best suited for different purposes, what are you running mostly? What is the sheet size that you're aiming at? Coating unit? Which company is best represented in you area? Heidelberg, Komori, Man Roland? Ryobi? There is no point to get a press that can't be fixed withing a reasonable amount of time so find who is nearby than start making choices or lean one way or another.