difficulties with ab dick 9880 paper feed.

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by Edo, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Edo

Edo Member

Hello

I am having difficulties with getting my press to feed the paper properly.
    17 to 22 paper 60 pound. I have set it up properly but runn it after a few seconds it starts to pick up 3 to 5 sheets at a time. Any help

Thank you Edo

2. FSA

FSA Senior Member

Edo
    lower the pile until it will not pick up, then bring it up little by little until is grabs a sheet. Also set the blowers so the top 10 or so sheets fluf up.
    FSA

3. Edo

Edo Member

I

I tried that still happened after 10 pages,wondering if humidity could be a factor?

Edo

4. FSA

FSA Senior Member

Edo
    How old is the press? Compressors get weak as they get old, there is an manual oil hole on the vaccumm line on the top of the compressor, if it is gumming up and not blowing good you can try a drop or two every 10 mins or so to help it loosen up and work better? If it make more fluf, you need to rebuild or replace the compressor. With a proper amount of air to work with humidity is not an issuse on small formate press for feeding.
    FSA

5. spike

spike Senior Member

you might be getting static/ try some tinsle and make sure you you wind the paper good

6. Edo

Edo Member

so there is a static charge I have to worry about,thats interesting.Is there anything else I should know about the intake(i just bought new suckers today,would that help)
    Edo.

7. memo58

memo58 New Member

Hello Edo,

There are several things you should check. If you changed the air feeder hoses underneath that go to the paper joggers, you might have used too stiff of hoses, and this impedes movement of the joggers. You need to use the very soft, flexible hoses that come original on the press. Secondly, there are some very small metal "fingers" that are adjustable with a small allen wrench along the whole front of the apron where the paper butts up against the press. There are probably some 8 of them. This is precisely for stopping doubles. You should back them out so they "grab" the paper well. Thirdly, you do need to check the compressor, but it doesn't sound like that is the problem. Lower the table range, get those little metal fingers working. Also, these presses often use a "dead" pick up tube that is solid and adjustable, to impede doubles. This pushes the paper down under the little metal stops, and helps a lot. If your press didn't come with any, you can just make one from another tube. Plug it, put a tip on it, and let it sit just a bit below the level of the other suction tubes.

I hope this helps! We have two of the older 385's, and we print everything with it! You should be able to get it to work. Let me know if this helps - greenb@racsa.co.cr

Memo58

8. Edo

Edo Member

I have tried,but still haveing trouble with it picking up. It would try a few times then all of the sudden it would pick up one then start to pick up 2 or 3 pages at a time. How would I use the tinsel?
    Thank you
    Edo

9. memo58

memo58 New Member

Hello Edo,
    You didn't say whether the little metal paper separators are sticking out. They are adjustable, and help a lot with doubles.

memo

10. plotter

plotter Senior Member

try same weight paper but different stock. it could be paper as these machines are usually bullet proof once going

11. spike

spike Senior Member

edo tape the tinsle from one side blower to the one on the opposite side make sure that the tinsle barely
    touches the sheetwhen its being picked up. you can also just take off the rubber suckers when running light stock
    hope this helps.

12. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

Is your paper curl up or curl down and is it short grain or long grain those will affect feeding a short grain sheet wont feed the same as a long grain sheet. Try to flip your paper so its curl down, when its curl up it tends to wanna grab more than one sheet

13. Scott C

Scott C Member

There is a thin round metal bar that runs parallel with and just in front of the sucker feet. Make sure it is adjusted so that it allows the paper to fluff up. Should be a small adjustment bracket on the operator side that the bar rests on.

14. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

paper bail is what scott c is refering to and most of them don't affect paper feed unless its cover stock i maybe move mine once a year thats when i run 15pt tho

15. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

Edo are you still having feeding problems or did you resolve the situation?