Difference between Heidelberg Printmaster and Speedmaster

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Thayanithi Kokulan, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Thayanithi Kokulan

Thayanithi Kokulan Member

Hi All,
    I have heard in the industry that Heidelberg's Printmaster version is their economic model and Printmaster models have mechanical issues is it true? Can anyone provide any explanation with regard to this?

2. Travis Young

Travis Young Member

Don't know a lot about them but the Printmaster is based on the GTO. They also make a Quickmaster 46 which is basically a small offset press. I had the privilege of a trip to the Heidelberg showroom in Sydney during my apprenticeship (2001) and they were exhibiting the QM46 two colour press. I remember thinking at the time that you would be lucky to get a decent cmyk job out of one due to the registration system.
    The Printmaster 52 is basically a GTO with a bit of a fancy electronics, which is probably not desirable 20 years later. The whole appeal of the GTO is it's lack of things to go wrong. I doubt they would have mechanical issues, probably more likely electrical.
    I have a GTO and I love it to bits but it's work scope is very limited in todays modern world.
    The Speedmaster is a different kettle of fish all together. Stream feeder, run at 10,000 IPH all day every day. Faster plate changes. Quicker make readies.
    Printmaster is slower and more agricultural but I would think no less reliable. QM46 I would steer clear of.
    Love to hear the thoughts of some of our senior members