DI Pro, ink duct or area coverage modification

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by jamieloten, Feb 27, 2015.

1. jamieloten

jamieloten New Member

I have a problem with ink duct settings. The settings which come up when a job is loaded are way off, completely useless. The pressminder says that the black and magenta sweep and key settings typically need bumping up by 10-20%, cyan by 20-30%, and the yellow needs reducing to a third or a quarter of what is set, in order to begin to achieve a print that looks right.

I have checked the ink information supplied by the rip and found it to be at least proportional to what you would expect - send the same image for each separation (a calibration strip) and the ink information is also the same. However, load up that job and the ink duct settings are different for each colour - the black and cyan are just subtly different from each other, the magenta is roughly doubled and the yellow roughly quadrupled.

Scouring the CP2000 pc I came across some ink files in C:\database\cpcsaves, iirc, Lastink, ink1 and ink2. These contain the same ink duct information as sent by the rip for the last couple of active jobs, but then also include a data section called something like "Area Coverage With Modification", containing the same ink key fields but with disproportionately distorted values. Much like the settings seen in the operator panel.

Where is this modification coming from?

I found 9 memory presets under Ink Settings, but none have been set. The basic "R" set would seem to be all that is applying, but I cannot find how to alter that, if that is indeed the cause of the problem.

Please can anybody help to shed some light on this problem?

2. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

It sounds like your ink compensation curves have not been set correctly. They should be set based on the type of ink you are using. Your operators manual can show you how to make adjustments.

3. jamieloten

jamieloten New Member

Thank you for your reply, Paul. We don't have an operators manual, or any other documentation. Is it available as a pdf that we could download or that you could email to me, please? Or, could you talk us through finding and resetting the ink compensation curves?

4. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

There are no PDF versions of the operators manual that I am aware of. The part number for the manual from Heidelberg is 00.999.1511/04.

In the ink compensations curve screen the "R" button is the factory ink setting with no compensation added for any of your inks. To the right of that button you have M1 -M9. These are the memories you can set up for ink curves based on different substrates or ink types.

When you select for instance M1 you can now make a new curve for your ink that you use. Below the "M" buttons are V, U, Z, X, Y, M, C, B. These are where you set a curve for each color ink you are using. If you choose "C" you can adjust the ink for the Cyan. The screen that comes up is a line chart which shows your ink sweeps for the fountain roller at 20% and 60%. The bottom of the chart depicts your ink coverage and the left side show the amount the ink keys are open. It is in this screen you can adjust the way you want your ink to be applied to the job after imaging.

Once the adjustments have been made in this screen you should rarely have to make any manual adjustments to your ink.

5. Alexandre Castaneda

Alexandre Castaneda New Member

Paul, can you Install QMDI

Hi im looking for someone to install and train qmdi classic, near to california