DI - Do It???

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by nubie, Nov 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. nubie

nubie New Member

New printer setting up in Torrevieja, Spain. Have some offset experience - and didn't like it! "Oil" and water DO mix - sometimes!

Am not looking for corporate accounts - just flyers for the local businesses installing air-conditioning, bars selling guinness, jet ski hire, etc.

Normal order is 5000 A5 4/0 or 4/4 on 135g gloss art run 4 up and 500 or 1000 business cards 4/0 and 4/4 on 350g gloss card.

Now for the $64,000 question - I know this sort of printing would suit a DI machine - but is it still right to buy one today or is there a better alternative for the same price (NOT 2 colour with 2 passes)?

I see a fair few up for sale (or even breaking for spares! (see below)). Will this reduction in numbers affect (ie increase) the cost of the plates?

The uk company I am buying from is very good with ex-Heidelberg engineers and has a shed load of spare parts and also has a number of machines installed in the uk, with clients I can get testemonials from.

Any further info pls ask and any comments will be avidly read and appreciated.

thanks
    nubie

2. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

Hi,

The Heidelberg DI is very good value for money at the moment and the sort of work you seem to be doing would suit the machine.
    The plate material costs have been reducing over the years and i wouldn`t expect them to go up.

Be careful which secondhand DI dealers you use because there are a few dodgy ones in the UK who will promise the earth but unfortunatly do not deliver.

Regards.

3. nubie

nubie New Member

Many thanks for the quick response. I think I am paying above the going rate for this machine but part of that is for the ex-heidelberg engineer and the perceived back up.

Obviously, there is no way to be sure what is promised will be delivered and without naming any names I am using a "south manchester, uk" company. If anybody has any experience of a company selling DI's in this area, comments appreciated.

In fairness, I have been allowed to talk to some of their installed customer base who have been running for at least 2 years, so I think that it is all pretty pukka.

Any other comments applicable to a newbie would be appreciated.

4. oby

oby Member

as far as i know that company you are buying off have alot of di experience on kba presstek and qm, but this is only what i have been told i dont run di an dont have very much knowlege about it

hope this heps

5. Emilio Lazcano

Emilio Lazcano Senior Member

Hola,

Nosotros nos encontramos en Mexico y somo una empresa dedicada exclusivamente al mercado DI, somos los distribuidores de Heidelberg y Presstek en Mexico. Si estas interesado en este tipo de prensas te podemos ofrecer prensas totlamente reacondicionadas y tambien partes y refacciones.

Un abrazo
    Emilio Lazcano

6. jnava

jnava Member

Hola
    Tengo una heidelberg quickmster Di , tal vez te interesa conocer la mia tiene 19 millones de impresiones, actualmente en fucionamiento y en muy buenas condicones
    mi e mail
    jorteganava@yahoo.com

7. aliusman

aliusman New Member