Cylinder maintenance / recommended grease

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by maverick1971, Aug 25, 2013.

1. maverick1971

maverick1971 Senior Member

Hi All,

We run a print shop with the following presses:

Heidelberg QM DI 46/4, QM 46/2 and a QM46/1

Please could anyone offer advice on the following:

1. How to clean/maintain the impression cylinder - our impression cylinders appear dull and sometimes develop stains/lines around the edge of the paper that is being run. Looks almost as if something is being deposited by the paper!

2. What is the correct name for the white grease that is used on the gears of the machine - our presses have traces of this grease on them from when they arrived at our shop (we imported all three presses) but I cannot seem to find out what the grease is called so that I may purchase some locally.

Any advice / info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn

2. STW100

STW100 Senior Member

Shawn,
    The grease you are asking about is Molykote G-67 (Dow Corning) that comes from Europe. I have searched for some time to find a quality replacement and finally did. I carry a white graese in a cartridge that will substitute the original grease. It is on the supply page of my website G-67 grease $16.75ea. As for the dirty cylinder, have you tried hot water? Alot of times it is the fountain solution and the solvents wont touch it. Good old fassion hot water & elbow grease usually works. As for keeping it clean afterwords, any chrome cyl cleaner or etch with desensitizer helps.
    Stan Intermountain Press Service,llc. 720-285-9485 ipsqm46.com
    PS: I have numerous new & used parts avail for your QM46-1/2 presses!

3. maverick1971

Hi Stan,

Many thanks for your response to my query. I have already had a look at your website and I must say I was impressed at what you have on offer for our presses. If we were to place an order, how would you send the stuff to us? Is there a preferred courier you use?

Thanks for the tip on cylinder maintenance - do you have any cylinder cleaner or etch with desensitizer in stock? I also require some other parts for our presses and I will e-mail you our requirements.

What e-mail address should I use?

Thanks again for your response/assistance.

Regards

Shawn

4. STW100

STW100 Senior Member

5. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

On the QMDI, the white lithium grease is not to be used on the main drive gears it is not strong enough to with stand the pressures. The grease used for the central lubriction system is Optimol Longtime PD2. It is designed to be used on Helical cut gears under heavy loads.

6. maverick1971

Hi Paul - thanks for your reply regarding the grease. We are using FUCHS RENOLIT EP2 grease as indicated in the QMDI manual. What are your thoughts on this?

The grease I was enquiring about was for the QM 46-2 and QM 46-1. I think Stan mentioned Molykote G-67 (Dow Corning).

Thanks again!

7. Paul Cavanaugh

The Molykote is meant for the QM46-2 machines they do not exert the pressure on the gears that is seen on the QMDI.

I was not aware the Renolit was recommended for the Central Lubrication on the QMDI, it was always the Optimol Longtime PD2.

8. maverick1971

Hi Paul, Thanks for your response.

I am glad that you guys have confirmed the use of the Molykote G-67 for the QM 46-2 / QM46-1 presses. We just need to find a local supplier for the grease.

With regards to the Renolit EP 2, please see attached Lubricant Chart from our manual. This chart shows a whole range of greases that can be used for central lubrication and other lubricating points. I suppose this is due to availability issues of certain products around the world. Have a look at the list and let ma know what you think.

Is there anyone else out there using any of the product/s on this list? Would be good to know which ones perform best.

Regards

Shawn

Attached Files:

9. Paul Cavanaugh

As long as you follow that list you will be fine.