cylinder bearings

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by ryman, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ryman

ryman New Member

about 4 weeks ago we had a transfer cylinder bearing seize between 4th and 5th units. when engineer took bearing out it was absolutly mangled and told us that it was caused by water mixed in with the oil from a flood in the troughs we had about a week earlier. about a week before we had this flood we had a really bad smash in the 4th unit where the blanket came out of its bar on front edge and stopped press dead while on impression(we have ol school screw in blanket bars). Our engineer tells me that this wouldnt have caused bearing to desintergrate , the water in the oil did. after fixing and running m/c for the last month we were getting alot of iron filings in oil filters and yesterday the 4th unit impression cylinder has desintergrated and once again press is down. flooding is a common problem in printing and i cant see how this has made 2 cylinder bearings falter, could it have been this or maybe the pressure from the blanket coming off?

2. Meny

Meny Senior Member

take care - this is not good.....

Once you have a bearing problem , the right this to do is cange all the oil , wash the systes and majke sure you do not get what you just did...
    Water can be (is) bad for bearings for sure but the jam could have to do with this too.
    What press is it ? model ? age ?

3. ryman

ryman New Member

hi there its a komori L-28 5 color 1995 model, she survived 5 pretty good earthquakes and many thousand aftershocks in the last year or so and now a bit of water has stuffed it????? The oscilating bearings are still ok as is 4 other unit cylinders(touch wood). oil was changed as was filters after the first cylinder went, what do you mean by systes? thanks

4. Meny

Meny Senior Member

systes = systems ... :) sorry

did you check the levelling of the press after it was shaked ?
    this could be a very good reason - if ot came out of ballance , it could put a lot of pressure on the press and send it to hell the short way.....

I would check it for good levelling . and if not and you are inssured.......do the needed

5. Kaoticor

Kaoticor Senior Member

If you are getting metal filings in your oil filter, something is very wrong. When you see those filings, it would be good to shut the press down and investigate immediately!

I have seen the blanket come off on a Lithrone 28 5-color when it stopped the press from full speed. It is possible that it caused the bad bearing, but I don't think that is what caused it. Your jam will probably just make you need to adjust the timing of your blanket cylinder again and maybe it gouged the cylinder. But if your system oil is contaminated, or if there is a lot of water, the press parts start to wear down very quick.

Checking the leveling is probably a good idea also