CTP Questions

Discussion in 'Platemaking' started by inkie, Nov 8, 2010.

1. inkie

inkie Member

Trying to decide which ctp to go with. I have the option of buying a AB Dick 2340 dpm, Epson 7900ctp (opinions please) or a platestream system from xpedx. Need some opinions, getting a little overwhelmed by salesman's opinions. :confused:

2. Uncle Vinny

Uncle Vinny New Member

As a former ABDick tech, I can vouch for the ultra reliability of the 2340's. The image quality is second to none. The down side is the cost of the major components, boards, laser, etc. While these items rarely fail, it can happen, albeit not often. Presstek really rakes customers over the coals with these parts, $7000 for a laser, $2500 when I worked there, go figure. A Purup/Esko dealer might be an option on imager parts as they made the imager and part are more reasonable from Purup. Or the 2340 line was so successful you can find used ones out there to have as backup/parts machine. I just had a customer buy another machine for parts when a laser failed on theirs from a shop going out of business.

3. hondarr9

hondarr9 Member

We moved from a AB 2340 to a Platesteam SCX a few years back. The AB Dick had a lot of mechanical issues but the image was always beautiful. With the SCX we have a big problems with light screens and gradients. Mechanically The SCX is rock solid. If they could fix our screening issues I would choose the Platestream. We have had several attemps made by Xpedx to fix the issue but four years later we are still dealing with it. Maybe we have a lemon?

4. Uncle Vinny

Uncle Vinny New Member

Surprised to hear about the 2340 issues. I have always and still do find them very reliable. I'm not surprised about the screening issues with the platestream. Their specs on spot size and repeatability on the newer machines were identical to what we had years ago on the DPM2000's. I've heard similar stories from other Platestream owners. Best of Luck in getting issues squared away.

5. hondarr9

hondarr9 Member

Uncle Vinny,
    When I say Mechanical issues more specifically they were within the Activator/Stabilizer tank area, not laser related. Also had a scratching problem that would re-occur within a week or two of a thorough cleaning. Seemed like a design flaw to me.

6. momocolor

momocolor New Member

inkie,
    What is the maximum plate size you are using ?

7. Markley

Markley Member

Hey vinny, got a Dpm I need help with. Can you call or email me?
    510-654-5124 econopress@gmail.com
    Thanks!!!!