CPC 1.04 not recognizing ASE job card unit

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Atheros, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Atheros

Atheros Member

We recently had electricity problem that damaged REK 2, EAM and BEK boards on our SM74-4. We repaired REK 2 and EAM and replaced BEK board with a new one. But we still couldn't use ASE job memory unit so we bought identical one used and the problem still exists. The unit is not showing in the Service display - software versions on CPC 1.04. We checked voltages 24V and 5V are present on the power connector to the ASE unit, tried changing flat cable but nothing helped. Did anybody had a similar case? Any suggestions are welcome?

20180702_151003(0).jpg

2. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir:
    Hope you are well.
    Normally when this happen Serious damage can be happen in the Power supply of the machine.
    1) I recommend very strong to test : a) Main infeed is there the Input voltage 220Vca or other that you are using, is there in Tolerance 10% or Higer or Down from Tolerance, call the Utility company and Fix it, and adjust the Tap of Primarly of Transformer T6.

2) If you did the Step #1: measure the secondary Tranformer T6 if there in the Range too 10% Tolerance: 24Vca ,17.5Vca,15Vca, 28Vca,20Vca, 27Vca .

3) If everything is o.k go the GSM module rectifier: test the fuses:F1-F12 and of course meaure the Ouput of Vdc : +5 +12+24+28 if there in tolerance of 5% . Very carefully example: if you measuring +5vdc: and take with your DMM lecture from: 5.6Vdc the power supply is faulty: repair or replace it , and the rest of circuit will be affected, and goes On, with the rest of Voltages.

4) If everything is o.k Measure the control board FCK for AsE, measure very well the +12 +5+24 if there are in Tolerance, otherwise the ASE unit will NOT work, if the power supply are in the Range the Board FCK is faulty.
    Please in all cases use the Schematic Diagrams

5) Install From Heidelberg Relay Fluctuation Voltages in the Input of the machine.

3. Atheros

Atheros Member

Thank you Mr. CHOCK for your response,
    I did check all the voltages and they are all within tolerance. All fuses on GSM board are also OK.
    But still not working. The thing that troubles me is that when I press the Fault display button on CPC 1.04 it doesn't show any problem with ASE, even when I unplug the flat cable from BEK board, but it does show error when I unplug the flat cable for TSK board. I also searched to see if there is a variant code (since we did the basic initialization) to enable ASE unit but couldn't find one, maybe there is another way to activate the ASE unit (maybe secret button or menu like in the case of AUTO REGISTER 42)??

4. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Did you 1) :

check the Measure the control board FCK for ASE.
    look for dry +cold solder joints+leaking capacitors measure ESR very well !

2) Are you sure the Power supply are o.k ? , and the Ripple of the power supply are o.k ?? Filters are o.k? look for bulged. and decoupling capacitor for Noise in Ic regulators.
    3) the Fuses can be o.k BUT the voltages in the secondary are o.k??
    4) Are the boards that you repairs , are you sure are correctly fix it??
    5) Will be a good idea, if you take this board , and take test in another machine.

Not easy matter to fix it this boards, unless has been fix it for the factory, or agency working with Heidelberg.

In short please review that matters.

Attached Files:

5. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

Hi,
    You need to describe the problem in details.
    1- Which EAM did you replace? CPTronic or CPC?
    2- What was the main malfunction of old BEK? It's very helpful to know what part of the old one was not functioning.
    3- Which cable did you disconnect from TSK? FCK is connected directly to BEK through a serial port.
    Please check the following:
    1- Does red LED on FCK turn on once you insert the memory card?
    2- Check flat cable connected to X7 on BEK, try another cable and connect it directly to FCK.
    3- Try to check FCK on another CPC.

Goodluck,

6. Atheros

Atheros Member

Hi Mathew ,
    we replaced BEK board with a new one and repaired EAM board in CPC (replaced transistor array chip circled in red), also repaired REK2 board in the main cabinet (replaced 2 burned chips used for serial communication with the BEK board).
    We also tried inverting EAM boards from CPTronic and CPC since they are identical and tried inverting REK1 and REK2 boards as they are also identical, but nothing changed.
    When I disconnect X2 (TSK) flat cable from the BEK board there is an error screen showing that there is a problem with TSK, but when I disconnect X7 (ASE) flat cable from the BEK board there is no error.
    Red turns on when I insert the memory card.
    Tried using a known good cable between BEK X7 and FCK X5 but no change.
    Unfortunately there is nobody that owns CPC nearby so we can't test.
    Everything else is working normally except ASE unit is not recognized. Maybe there is a procedure to initialize the ASE unit but I couldn't find one in the documents.

Attached Files:

• EAM.jpg
      EAM.jpg
      File size:
      163.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

Hello again,
    EAM damages were not severe and they are so common. Damaged components on REK and related components on BEK normally caused by damaged connecting cable between CPC and Main Electric Cabin. Did you find any damages on the cable or it was only power failure?

As I can consider from the photo you uploaded, ASE is not recognized at all and that's why you can't see any errors. Normally when ASE communicates with BEK, its software version pops up on CPC software version menu. There is no procedure to initialize ASE since it's plug and play same as other components. I assume ASE has got damaged but to my experience it's very rare.
    I will check our stock on Tuesday, we should have one used ASE but in a very good condition. I will send you an offer accordingly. Send me your email address please.

Regards,

8. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

Just one more thing, can you see Memory Card icon on Data Transfer Menu?

9. Atheros

Atheros Member

The cable was not damaged, I only wanted to exclude that possibility by testing with the other cable.
    The memory card icon is visible and when I start to transfer data to the card the CPC freezes, so I have to restart the CPC.
    We already replaced the original ASE unit, because we thought that it would solve the problem but the symptom is exactly the same.

10. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

Did you try to make a reset on SAK module? If not, try it.
    Also try to delete memory card if possible.

11. Atheros

Atheros Member

We did reset SAK2 module but it was when we still had the original ASE unit, I will try again with the new ASE unit installed.
    Will try to delete memory card.
    I'm beginning to suspect EPROM (EPM8) on the BEK board, when we were trying to fix the original BEK board we unsoldered the EPROM chip and used EPROM programmer to read the firmware, and resoldered the chip back to the EPM8. Maybe EPROM was partially damaged with the soldering iron, and it's not reading the part of the firmware that deals with the ASE unit.

12. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

You can take EPM module from another machine and test on this unit. Remember to take EPM module from DGP/DSK from CPC as well.

13. Atheros

Atheros Member

Tried resetting SAK2 again but nothing changed. I would love to test EPM8 on another machine but there is really nobody who owns CPC 1.04 close to where I am. Our pressman is running the machine everyday so I can't send the EPM8 to anyone for testing. But there is one discovery today, I tried saving the current job to 1 of the 5 internal memory slots on the CPC and it locked up just as when I try the ASE card. I think this narrows it down to the BEK board or the EPM8. Does anybody have EPROM binary dump for BEK 102.2 version, I could do a binary compare with the one I have so I could narrow it down further to either BEK or EPM8?