copper wear and chrome pitting

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by Jameybiz, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Jameybiz

Jameybiz Member

we have a ls40p press and the copper rollers are wearing down to a silver look. Also our chrome rollers are starting to get pits from underneath the chrome like the orginal metal wasnt treated well.. Komori said this is all normal wear.. Has anyone had this trouble and is it normal for the copper to wear away in 5 years?
    thanks

2. timc

timc Senior Member

the copper can wear depending on roller settings as for the chrome water sometimes gets under it and lifts parts of the chrome off Normally at the ends of the rollers

3. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Opinion

In general , i think 5 years is way too short for this condition , but wonder if it has no local reason ??

I know of copper rollers that hold 10+ years with no problem and Chrom rollers that stand for 15 years , but in some cases shorter - much shorter.
    I have asked myself why and what deffers one from the other , and yet no answer.
    I think that one reason could be a small electrice current running in the press building up the conditions for this ware , but never had the real chance to check it out.
    I have seen It before , but at this point i can only offer to recover to a high level (Komori do a good job) with a dedicated supplier to this task.
    good luck

4. HPC

HPC Senior Member

I am not familiar with Komori, but 5 years seems a bit short for copper. There are a few ways you can cause your own problem. First off, even if you do a good wash up if you don't do a 3 step ink will begin to harden the rubber rollers that come in contact with copper. The hardened ink rollers will work on wearing out the copper. Last but not least, check the blade, on the washup tray if this is the copper roller that is failing

5. henrym

henrym Member

I had this problem repeatedly on a web press, we had some success by having the roller re chromed completely end to end so the hard chrome was fully covering the journals. we also had some success having the same rollers re covered with stainless.

6. spike

spike Senior Member

back in the day we would use a copperiseing soloution on the meatal rollers this helped keep them ink receptive
    where does your water for the fountain soloutin come from is there alot of minerals in it may be leading to premature wear

7. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

I ran a 5C 20" Komori for years and several of the chrome water fountain rollers had the chrome finish crack and lift off the roller core. This does wonders for the water form roller. :( Press was a good 7 years old by then and 2 out of 5 units had the roller problem. Copper coating on ink rollers was fine with no excessive wear.

8. glenn lamarche

glenn lamarche Member

We had the same problem on our Ls29 6 Colour .We use a copperising solution once a month ,We also maintain our rollers well with febo every week and calcium fix every week. With this press its all about the water how clean it is and your mix We dump waters every week and mix fresh

9. glenn lamarche

glenn lamarche Member

sorry our press is 5 years old and copper was looking bad after 4 years

10. FSA

FSA Senior Member

Glenn
    Do you run alcohol?
    fsa

11. glenn lamarche

glenn lamarche Member

No we do not we run two part system fuji emerald jr and sub

12. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Hi Guys

I have the answer to the Chrome rollers going bad - simply contact me by e-mail or phone , as i do not wish to post it in the open , but do have a free solution for you.

Meny
    +44-79-24232341

13. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

The whole idea of a forum such as this, is to SHARE information, surely, otherwise, what's the point?

turbotom1052 likes this.
  14. Meny

Meny Senior Member

My friend

Some information i can share , some not.
    I am willing to help but not allowed to post this in the open , so will have to do it in a quite way.
    I have no intention to run to politics not to ask any money for the info.... but can only share it (with every one) in a quite way.

best regards
    #
    Meny

15. greyhorse

greyhorse Member

chrome rollers in K29"

There are cases where after 3 years is damaged chrome (EU location)

www.greyhorse.lv

16. petar

petar Member

Contact Komori and they will send you new rollers

17. Kaoticor

Kaoticor Senior Member

Our copper rollers are showing signs of wear after 11 years.

18. Norbert

Norbert New Member

Hello there,
    What about the cost for re-coppering the rollers that are bad or worn out?
    And Petar, did komori fix this problem for free. And after how many years?