Connecting Printers in a new print shop

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by Copy Cats, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Copy Cats

Copy Cats New Member

Hello, Im new to the forum, and new to the print shop business. I am in the process of opening a new shop.

I would like some suggestions on best ways to connect all of the printers i have in the shop. I have a small shop and no printers will have customer access. All print jobs will be sent from employees(just me now). I have a computer in the front and two in the back, I also have 2 laptops i may move around or take with me. All of my printers/copiers are ip network printers and are connected now.

1- I have heard of using a computer as a print server and send all jobs thru this computer, or
    2- I could install all printers on one desktop computer and share it with all other printers, or
    3- should i just setup and install all of the printers on each computer and send all jobs directly to the printers?

or any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

2. Brunner

Brunner New Member

I choose 3, that way you don't need to worry about constantly keeping a host up and running, redundancy is important. 1 and 2 are the same.

3. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

Will all the printers have the same kind of RIP (e.g. fiery or creo or ?)
    How many computers do you have?
    I choose 3 also. No one point of failure to take everything down.