Complete oil change

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by slimzybox, Jul 11, 2012.

1. slimzybox

slimzybox Member

After asking the boss to order the correct spec oil for the main press shower system for our 528,one of our senior operators decided some chain grade oil would be ok for a top up even tho its over twice the viscosity. While the m/c was running 24/7 this went un-noticed as the oil temp was likely raised and more viscose but after standing idle for a while cooling down we now have problems! we had an alarm of oil pressure and no feed to any of the shower system visible through optics on printing units, obviously we now know why!! my question that requires some assistance is ; is there a way to syphon off the oil to completely replace it? Or do i need to get down and dirty in the reservoirs below deck? I've checked through our manuals and other than filter changes there is no reference to any drain or reservoir plug? Is there also any clean out operation that should be performed before replenishing? would there likely be any detrimental damage to the oil pump performance and finally what is the usual sentence given to someone for attempted murder of a senior printer?:D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. Meny

Meny Senior Member

wrong sprirt my friend , wrong spirit...

Before you kill some one ....ask . not after...

Under the press at the back , about the center you should find a short pipe , with a tap/cap at the end , used to drain the oil.

Bur is it the right thing to do ?
    First make sure your pump is working as the viscosity of the oil is important in the long run , but should not stop the pump.

If the pump is working , check if you have air lock in the filter system / jamed filters and so on.....only after start thinking of killing someone.....and i do not recomend that you do !!!

First check...then kill (no , do not kill) but for sure not the other way round as you wanted.....

Good luck :)

3. slimzybox

slimzybox Member

Thanks Meny,i'm in my happy place now! :cool:! I had checked for airlocks at bleed point and the pump function seems to be working ok with loads of vacuum pressure but not quite enough oil pressure. I opened up panel on side of print unit to observe shower and there only seems to be drip from lower half outlets. Unsure how often we've had a "Top up of whatevers hanging around" So i've checked with the boss and he wants to drop the oil to be sure! I always ask first! LOL! I Also always check what grade oil is needed, "assumption is the mother of all fowl-ups afterall !" ;)