Communiction problems with KMS-IV

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by tooner, Jan 18, 2012.

1. tooner

tooner New Member

Hi

We are using KMS-IV with a Komori Printing Press and we are trying to replace the existing computer with a newer Windows XP PC.

The problem we are having is that the program can't communicate with the press. The existing PC uses a PCL-745+ card and we have installed a dual port serial card (with RS422+RS485 support) in the new PC. We have copied the settings from the old PC but it refuses to communicate. We have tried RS232, RS422 and RS485 in the settings for the new card but this hasn't worked. We have the 2 correct COM ports set in the KMS software and we have tested the ports with other devices to make sure they work.

Has anyone any idea of anything else we can try?

Thanks in advance
    Scott

2. Meny

Meny Senior Member

could it be that you connected the cabels the wrong way round ?
    what press is it and what age ?
    do you also have a PDC on the press ? did you make sure the dip switches on the com board are right for the used protocol ?

Meny

3. tooner

tooner New Member

Hi Meny

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

It's a 528EM Pluscoder from year 2000. It has a PDCS but that uses a separate computer and we're not touching that. There are 2 cables, marked PC422 channel 1 and PC422 channel 2. We didn't try switching the cables but we have tried switching the COM ports in software so I assumed this would have the same effect?

The card we have only has jumpers for setting voltages (5V and 12V) and everything else is software. I know serial is usually 5V and I didn't want to risk 12V but could this help resolve the problem do you think? Anything else we can try?

Thanks
    Scott

4. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Hi Scott
    give me a call so i can ask all the questions in one go and help you out

Meny
    079-24232341 (UK)

5. presselectronics

presselectronics Senior Member

You do not say what type of press and console you have?

Generally, when I replace the KMSIV PC, if there is a seperate PC for the PDC-S, I toss it. I like to put everything on one PC. If it is a PDC-SI, it communicates with RS232. The PQC communicates with RS422. The best board for both communications is the Moxa CP114. It comes with 4 ports and usually two are set for RS232 and two are set for RS422.

Any specificity would require more details on what PQC and press type you have. . .