college grad with degree in print production seeking help to get pressman job in ny

Discussion in 'Printing Business Practices' started by scratchybe20, May 11, 2011.

1. scratchybe20

scratchybe20 Member

hi , i have my degree in graphic arts and print production , i been sitting on my degree for over 3yrs , i have tried hard looking and sending out resume for print press operator, pressman but never get that opportunity to build my skills and gain the experience other than the little i learn on the b/w press and 4/c one in college , ny ccollege of technology i did my degree.

is there anyone in the NY region who might know someone or is an employee who can give me a inside connect or just a chance to gain some experience and make my degree and college studies worth while. my name is jermaine and i live in the nyc region.

2. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

Do you have any Digital Printing experience?
    Can you commute to Jersey City?

In the near future my company will be seeking additional employees for our digital print department.
    If you like , forward your resume over to Msiecinski@magnets.com.

I'll keep it on file and mark it for first review when the time comes to hire.
    I haven't a solid time frame on when this will occur.

3. scratchybe20

scratchybe20 Member

Hi thanks for your reply and help

how are you doing thanks alot for the help , i only visited on a field trip a particular company that was using the digital presses , i really honestly dont have that experience but i am willing to take the job as an intern to learn and gain the experience as long as its paid intern to compensate my travel and food expense. i drive and its 20 mins in reach of where i live.

whats your name ?

also let me know what you think is the best thing to do to let my resume stand out if i dont have the digital printing experience or if you want i can do my research on the presses.

4. scratchybe20

scratchybe20 Member

Hi thanks for your reply and help

how are you doing thanks alot for the help , i only visited on a field trip a particular company that was using the digital presses , i really honestly dont have that experience but i am willing to take the job as an intern to learn and gain the experience as long as its paid intern to compensate my travel and food expense. i drive and its 20 mins in reach of where i live.

whats your name ?

also let me know what you think is the best thing to do to let my resume stand out if i dont have the digital printing experience or if you want i can do my research on the presses.

5. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

Digital presses aren't too difficult to operate. as long as your computer savvy you won't have a problem.
    No need to jazz-up the resume, I manage the printing here. I understand your position.

My name is Mike.

6. scratchybe20

scratchybe20 Member

Hi Mike thanks for the help, i am very good in computers that one i know creative wise and typing etc.
    i can send you my resume now with cover letter and you can give me a feedback if am on the right track as far as words and format
    do i send it to the email you give me above?

7. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

I received your resume.
    I'll be sure to hang on it. when we are ready to begin interviews I will surely give you a call.

I can forward over my resume for you to compare, my background and degree is in graphics arts as well. I learned printing in the field and through corporate training.

8. scratchybe20

scratchybe20 Member

ok thanks please do remember me as i know we both have other responsibility and might not get to communicate everyday .
    you can send me your resume and give me an over view i would really appreciate that .
    was it hard for you when you started out?
    did you got the break during college or after?
    also did you started in NJ as i realize not much printing company in NY and the few here its like they dont respect the trade and art.
    you can see from my resume that most of my jobs are retails because thats the only field i was able to get in and right now i have been just all over since then and its just not consistent and i am just back against the wall right now. i cant afford to go back to school and not interested in giving up .

9. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

Life as a designer was tough (print is no better). I was lucky enough to land a great job right out of college. I worked as an animator for a kids' TV show , but funding for the show was dropped and we lost our jobs.

I had a few studio design gigs before i got into printing. A Minuteman Press franchise picked me up and sent me all the place to learn offset/digital printing , pre-press , bindery and finishing. I become the production manager/art director of that location for a few years. Then left to seek a better opportunity, i work as the Print/pre-press manager at my current location (after being part of their art-room for about a year).

I also work part-time at a vinyl shop, printing and designing vehicle wraps and decals (as well as signs and banners etc)

10. scratchybe20

scratchybe20 Member

ok wow i see you are a very lucky individual i feel like am a fish on dry land after reading all what you went through , i know there are not opportunities like that anymore and i am not even close to relate with you on anything of that sort because i havent even touch or smell the ink in an printing atmosphere since left college . i am a hard worker and just needed a start and the sky is the limit .

whats the best techniques to contact some of these print firms , go to the company personally and speak with manager or just seek out these companies and send them my resume?

i gather a list and contact them via phone and some gave me their email to send resume , you think i should just keep following up on them every 3 days or week

11. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

I got the job at minuteman press as a walk-in. to be honest , I went there to print my resume and portfolio. It just so happened he needed someone with graphics experience ... and so I got into printing. A tad bit of irony ...

12. scratchybe20

scratchybe20 Member

lol ok i understand

13. scratchybe20

scratchybe20 Member

all the jobs you done , these were in NJ?

14. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

You got it. I haven't lived anywhere else unfortunately. Maybe my wife and I can pick up one day and get out of here.

15. scratchybe20

scratchybe20 Member

thanks alot for everything and you time, keep doing the good you can do, i hope we may meet oneday , every now and then i will send you a message just saying hi or so . ok blessed

16. pressman57

pressman57 Senior Member

Get a job as a feeder operator, then move up from there.

17. scratchybe20

scratchybe20 Member

but how can i get that opportunity if they not looking for that specific position, i appreciate what you said but here in the new york region its very hard to even get a foot in the door , these companies ridiculously searching for people with 10 and 15 yrs exp. how can that be.

i am starting to think if one dont have connection on the inside , dont matter his qualification you just not geting a break period.