Coating Slinging on edges of Chrome Roller

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Dutchb, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Dutchb

Dutchb Member

Hi Guys,

Im running a 4 color SM52 with a coater. Im having trouble with the coating slinging either when im running at high speeds (14k), or it will eventually sling, if im running at around 11k. I've checked a few things like, making sure the coating has the right consistency (the 40 seconds in the cup) and the part that I've noticed that seems to stick out the most would be, that when the chrome roller is spinning, there is a heavier amount on the edges (but not so much thats its dripping or anything) ,not on the actual side of the roller but on the top, but there is also no build up of dried coating- the roller is very clean.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, im getting tired of cleaning up that mess!

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

on the larger (40") and older speedmasters with roller coaters we used to have to run these cheeks on the ends of the rollers to keep the coating from slinging. Even then at times it would still make a mess. Eventually we learned to taper the packing on the edges to make for a less hard coating line. We also had some success with playing with the level in the coating trough. If i remember correctly we had an overflow machined to allow the coating to run a little lower on the pan roller. Then anilox coaters came along and made it all a no brainer. The only drawback in my opinion to an anilox coater is that you cant just put more coating to the sheet. The anilox roller determines how much coating you lay down and if you want more you need an anilox roller with different cell count. If its in your budget i highly recommend retrofitting your press with an anilox coater. It truly is a set it and forget it way to coat.

3. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

HI dutchb
    sounds like the rubber metering roller is worn on the edges you need to check the measurments of the roller, if worn replace with new rubber roller , +new bearings . It is also absolutely crucial that you get a roller that is exactly the same length as the chrome ,when fitting make sure that both ends are flush with eachother. If its a long way out take the rubber roller ends off and adjust the shims until you get close then adjust on press before you tightn the bolts.
    Also keep the tray spotless clean/ like new, another thing is that if you are running for a long time the coating will go stale at the ends of the tray this will cause it to flick as well, every 5K -10K take level gauge out push coating at the ends around the tray or down the return then fill fresh, should only take a minute, check for build up and clean coating blanket. hope this helps .john

4. Dutchb

Dutchb Member

Hi Guys, thanks for the info.
    Turbotum, As far as the anilox roller, I would love to retrofit the press with one, I've heard great things about them, but unfortunatly it wont be happening anytime soon. I've always used those cheeks that you mentioned, and I've also done the same with packing as far as stepping it down than just dropping it off.
    JohnnyPrint - As far as the rubber metering roller goes, its less than a year old and did not get use a considerable about this year. I thought that it was flush, but I ended up evening up a little more from side to side. I seemed to always have to go back to that problem, as if it walks itself to the side a little bit over a span of time. The part that you mentioned with draining and refilling the tray seemed to work great. I didnt have any slinging what so ever yesterday and I was running around 11k all day long with the coater, I drained it 4 times and like you said, it only took about a minute or so to do.

5. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

HI dutchb
    further to my earlier reply, if the rubber metering roller is moving over time, on your next maintanance time slot, take the roller appart and adjust the shims, add a shim to the side wich is is moving to, if it moves both ways try shimming both sides. tril and error sometimes. regards john

6. William Taylor

William Taylor Senior Member

I had this problem when I used a coater for the first time.It used to fling it everywhere. It turned out to be my coating was too thick. I thinned mine down to 25secs in a Zahn 4 cup and it works perfectly. I have the 2 roller system on a SM74 without the cheeks. I also use thinner packing sheets instead of 1 or 2 thicker ones as they fan out nicely on the tail edge.
    To keep the flow of coating even I have set the varnish overflow container screws to drain on the far side first. This gives a good flow and helps to stop stale coating from sitting in the edge of the pan.

7. Bill Halliday

Bill Halliday Member

I use a Zahn # 3 cup at 18 to 20 seconds and a # 4 at 25 seconds

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  8. Adil

Adil Senior Member

<translated>

Provide pictures, so I understand your problem.

9. turbotom1052

How many times do you need to be told that English is the official language on this forum???

mrheidelberg likes this.
  10. turbotom1052

The problem is that when you refuse to talk in the official language of the forum you are depriving members of possible solutions to problems. Is it your wish to only offer help to a select few members??? Or could it be that you're hiding behind a different language so that you can somehow hustle up some Biznez without the moderators knowing???

11. Color Printing Forum Admin

Color Printing Forum Admin Administrator

Translated now -- yes we do want to keep posts on the forum here in English so that all posts are in one common language.

Thanks.

In a few years it will be exciting to see how good auto-translate gets. It's impressive, and at some point we will probably be able to auto-translate when posting. However, right now, please translate before posting and do a quick check. For example, the difference between cylinder, drum, roller, bearing, wheel, tire, and things like that sometimes require a quick adjustment after translation. Or technical/proprietary terms sometimes do not translate correctly depending on how the original post is typed.

So we ask that people please post in English as the common language of the forum.

Many thanks.

12. Adil

Adil Senior Member

<translated>

For me the forum is in French, I can show you some screenshots, because I use the automatic translator of google chrome, this function is effective for each person to use the forum with a language of their choice, you will find the example in these screenshots attached

13. Adil

Adil Senior Member

Ok thank you for delet , bit i need to find solution , translate and publier .
    It s difficult , if the person are interested of answer and to fix the issue they will translate

14. Adil

Adil Senior Member

Now is good ??

15. Adil

Adil Senior Member

I think the good solution is to add translator from google directly in this forum , i do it that s why all my message is translated in frensh and i can read and answer without problem .

16. Adil

Adil Senior Member

Thank you for your translate, can i write in frensh ??

17. Color Printing Forum Admin

The latest posts of yours posted in English - Thank you. (I translated the others manually)

Looking at adding a function in the future so a non-English reply can be auto-translated into English, ideally with a screen to check any words where there may be a translation question before posting. Translate is getting better and better, but a quick review by the person posting still makes a difference in terms of whether the reply has the word "unit" or "object" or "device" for example sometimes.

For now, if you could please translate into English before posting as you did in your last few posts, that would be greatly appreciated.

18. Adil

Adil Senior Member

Il suffit f ajouter cette traduction automatique de google et le problème est resolu , des fois des gens envoient des messages en espagnole mais pour moi je vois tout les messages en francais , voila .

19. Color Printing Forum Admin

That one didn't work.

20. Adil

Adil Senior Member

It s shayme