coating on a 3302

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by lithomaniac, May 2, 2017.

1. lithomaniac

lithomaniac Member

We are having a lot of problems with rub and drying of heavy solids on uncoated
    card stock. Anybody know of a way to AQ jobs to seal the ink and prevent this?
    Years ago I tried a product called Kentucky Shine. It was a real pain to use.
    Had to cut the packing just right, it dried on the rollers & blanket if I stopped for
    even a few seconds and was a bear to wash up. We run a lot of shells that need to
    go back through later for imprints.
    Dave

2. printerdan

printerdan Member

Have you tried dull varnish? It's our go-to for flooded BC backs.

3. lithomaniac

lithomaniac Member

To printerdan; yeah we've gone the varnish route, at best it adds a couple of days
    to the production time, (which usually isn't there) at worst it results in bricks.
    I keep telling sales that time is the only sure cure, but they don't seem to get it.
    Everything is always due tomorrow you know.
    to superchock; not using UV inks but thanks anyway
    Dave

4. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

In the past I have added some Van Son Tough Tex/ Oxi bind inks to the mix. Depending on the color, job and coverage I'd normally use a 50-50 mix of tough tex and oil base ink. As you know the tough tex dries FAST on the rollers when idle. So it can be cumbersome to use. But the 50-50 mix did help in my case. What brand uncoated cover are you using? Have you tried a few other stocks? Do a few test runs and see what's best for you. I've never really varnished/coated a uncoated sheet. I've have tried it and found it didn't really help all that much. But every job and shop sometimes get different results. Using good quality ink, stock, solution mix is key. Good 320 grade offset power and you can always stack the sheets in small lifts. Yes time and curing is key! In these digital press times fast turn around times are here to stay. How many colors is the job and what PMS colors are being used? On some HEAVY 1 color solids I have used a 50% screen helper plate to assist. It gave me a nice solid and allowed some reduction to ink feed on the solid plate. If there is type and other screens involved it's a no go. But for a solid coverage print only it works pretty good. Are you using metal or poly plates?

Kentucky Shine is a pretty decent product. But as you said a pain to use. It's as close to a real AQ coating than other products I've used claiming the same. I do have the spray they include to assist in startup and dry up on the rollers and blanket.

5. ryobiTech

ryobiTech Member

Buy an Airtech IR dryer, that might help

6. 5150pressman

5150pressman Senior Member

Get a high rub resistance or label/carton varnish from the ink maker. I use this on solids and labels on uncoated stocks. Almost bulletproof..
    I mix 50/50 gloss and dull.