clear vinyl static cling paper

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by peels, Apr 10, 2014.

1. peels

peels tree killer :)

Im looking for type of paper...

OK here goes.

Manager brought me some paper to test. It was clear vinyl with the required white backer. It was "static cling" material and it was 12x18. It was wrapped in plastic...no box or name... I assumed someone would know what it was for the future...

nope. test went REALLY well, now they want to run it. Purchasing all over me asking what the paper was or where we can get it lol.

any ideas, I'm all ears.

2. alibear57

alibear57 Member

I had stuff similar to this and it was called Hydroprint Film, don't know if that helps.

3. peels

cool thanks. I just heard they figured it out, not sure the name...but also,

I have just now been given a sample of another to test. Its called "protac digital plus - 6.5 mil" i was given 20 sheets to test...you can't tell anything with 20 sheets.... :)

well see...

4. peels

OK back with this.

I did a successful run with it, so were doing round two, and Im getting some streaks. These are not process streaks, they APPEAR to line up with the inboard drive rollers throughout the printer. Ive cleaned just about every roller I can reach, and even some I couldnt. even cleaned the spring loaded rollers above, since the marks or on the printed side UP. I can actually wipe them off of the label with a little water and elbow grease...

Anybody come across this before? Throwing this out there on the off chance.... the material is CLEAR vinyl static cling on a white backer. I have the name finally, its called:

"PRESStige IGEN" .006 mil clear static cling vinyl/90#. "MGX-2224" from MGX digital.com.

http://www.mgxdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/MGX-11411.pdf

like that, only clear.

think ill have my tech come and look, maybe point me in the right direction.

5. peels

OH! ALSO:

where the streak shows up, it appears as if something is putting pressure on it, and there is a strip all the way down the paper where it looks as if the backer and vinyl separate. like "bubbled" underneath. this is happening before fusing, I verified that.

weird.

6. alibear57

alibear57 Member

Have you had a paper jam recently, which you've had to tug strongly on the paper to remove it? I had a similar problem to yours a couple of weeks ago. Every sheet of heavier than paper material had streaks down the length of it and often smudge marks off the trailing edge. I checked absolutely everything and couldn't find any excess paper lodged or any of the usual things. Then I replaced the heated roller unit (it's a DC240 I'm using, but the same principle should apply to other printers) and hey presto, everything was clear. I compared the two and immediately saw the problem - the stainless steel feed-in plate was bent upwards thus forcing every sheet to press against the plastic strips on the upper casing. I remembered a paper jam I had where the card had jammed right in the middle of the rollers and I used quite a bit of force to pull it back through - my plate had obviously gotten bent in the process.

I know you've mentioned that the streaks are there BEFORE the heated roller, but I just thought I'd mention this in case you've had to release paper from an earlier part of the path and there's a similar plate or guide which has been bent.

7. peels

interesting...

thank you for the response!

8. peels

the saga continues....

OK, so I ran the job of window cling vinyl. Having heard that previous run had problems with offsetting, or toner picking off. I never saw this.

I upped some settings. I cannot pick it off on igen, its fused NICELY. I get paged to a meeting, where they show me finished pieces. With seriously offset pieces. print almost gone off the piece, and on the back of the previous sheet.

It goes through a guillotine cut, and perfing process(on heidelberg speedmaster). both verified to not create heat. and the cutters just clamp down for one or 2 seconds. However, i had to ship the finished sheets to our other building for perf, then return to cut. It was pretty warm Friday. MY guess:

The paper sitting in a stack in a hot truck, then a hot warehouse for a few hours. about 1200 sheets or so, the vinyl and the toner getting hot, cutter clamping down......bam. offset.

thoughts? can i do anything else to the fuser to stop that? I don't think so, its totally fused off igen...

this is all I can think of. wheeeeeeeeeee!

9. peels

oh, the response when I asked the vendor if other igen operators had issues, and what their settings were....

response:

We really don’t have any consistent users. We’ve had a few customers that have used it periodically but most of our static cling is manufactured and sold to HP Indigo users.

thanks.

really...no...really. LMAO

10. masterpiecegraphix

masterpiecegraphix Member

We have something almost exactly like that, not sure if it was us or not! If you'd like we can send you samples!

11. peels

haha yes! it IS you. No more samples please! LOL i have ENOUGH

so, the Igen toner, it says "max temp: 90 degrees" right on t he box... THAT plus shiny gloss vinyl substrate doomed this from the start.

12. masterpiecegraphix

masterpiecegraphix Member

What application are you trying to use this for? We do have another material that's a vinyl and does well on the iGen that's a repositionable rather than a cling.