CLC5000 problem printing on heavy stock

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by printshopof1, Dec 24, 2011.

1. printshopof1

printshopof1 Member

Hello,

I realize the 5000 is on its way out, but here goes. I've been having a problem running 80#/100# cover through the bypass. Symptom is usually it runs anywhere from5 to 20 sheets fine and then stops the print process. The sheet will continue on the belt until it comes to rest on the exit sensor. The machine declares a jam and once removed it provides a message "copy size has changed, reset and start again" (paraphrasing here). Essentially, the machine senses the paper size has changed and stops the process.

I've replaced the transfer belt thinking it might be slipping. No luck. Replaced the leading sensor, no luck.

Machine runs fine from bypass with regular stock, all sizes, but not heavy. Tried using the 'extra heavy stock' setting, but that doesn't help.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

2. stevejohnson01

stevejohnson01 Previous User

i am not understanding why canon printer has many faults whether "canon" is a good brand in printing device

3. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

"Good brand" is too vague. It depends on the model and what you need to do with it. Back in the day, CLCs were great compared to the competition. Now, the maintenance requirements and cost per print of the older CLCs can be steep compared to newer designs.

printshopof1, did you ever solve this? Do you have another brand of cover stock to test with? Is it coated or uncoated cover stock?

4. printshopof1

printshopof1 Member

xfactor, thanks for asking. Haven't been able to solve the problem. The problem happens on different cover stocks, label stock and now has happened on regular weight stock a few times. Always from the stack bypass. I have sourced several items for the feed end from a used 4000. I'll see if that solves the problem.

I have been maintaining the unit myself and you're right, the maintenance takes a bit of time, but the cost isn't too bad. I will be bringing in a used Docucolor 250 in a week or two, so the 5000 will be demoted to backup service. If I can't get the bypass figured out, it won't be too much of a problem. Still it would be nice to remedy the situation. Let me know what you think.