CLC1180 vrs IR3220

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by Kwame, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Kwame

Kwame Member

my canon clc1180 is still performing better than the 3220 in terms of print quality. Thought the IR3220 was an improvement. the quality of the 3220 improves when i make copies rather than print. Has the gradation got anything to do with my issues?

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I'm surprised the copy quality is greater than the print quality. We've always had a basic fiery bustled rip with ours, but I find the print quality preferable to the copy quality. I most often scan and print to get a nicer result than a straight copy from ours. Although when we got ours way back we were also looking at the 11xx series of CLC. We got the 3200 because its maintenance click cost was about 2/3 of the CLC 11xx series and expected maintenance was much less. But the CLC 11xx delivered prints with more consistency to my eye and that were a bit punchier. I tended to prefer those prints slightly from the getgo, but the 3200 also offered 3x greater speed in color not to mention more economical per print click.

3. Kwame

Kwame Member

Thanks Jeff. Its such an interesting experience. Currently I print from the CLC and copy the print from the 3220. One unique quality I get from the CLC is the heavier plastic feel. Am yet to experience that on the ir3220.

4. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Do you have a RIP or no?

With the RIP, we started using the PCL driver and found the output somewhat lacking punch. It was probably more neutral, a bit cool. I then switched to the postscript driver with the fiery which loses a bit of shadow detail but ends up with a nicer punchier black and more yellow warm colors overall (just slightly) Mainly the output has a bit more contrast. Overall the density is still noticably less than I get from my other printers, but I found the 3200s pleasing just the same with a bit of a subtle pastel quality or maybe you'd say a bit of a watercolor feel. Not extreme, but just a bit of that feel to them in my book which was somewhat pleasing too.

I'm really surprised that the copy looks better than the print as I'd think you'd end up with screening issues going from 400x800 to 600x600.

On ours with the copy skin tones also always had a bit of a tiny green cast to them which I didn't find pleasing.

I liked my 3200/3220 best on mohawk 32# CCP which has a nice satiny finish with the oem canon toner. Also was ok on hammermill 28# ccp.

5. Kwame

Kwame Member

Thanks Jeff, no I do not have RIP. Would you advice that I connect a fiery to the 3200, so I can connect my mac to the fiery for improved print quality? Which model and spec will you recommend. How do i benefit from the colorwise with the 3200?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  6. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I can't give you any advice there as I've never had the non-rip print card to print to; have only ever had the 3200/3220 with the feiry c1 or c2 RIP.

How exactly is the print letting you down vs. the copy.

7. jmgrost

jmgrost Member

Hi, Kwame im having the same problem i just post a tread here. I have a CLC 1180 and a Irc3220. When i copy from the glass on the 3220 WALA! Perfect results and colors, but printing ... It changes the colors like crazy. I send one print to the CLC 1180 and copy from the glass on the irc3220 and its perfect colors. So i think its a problem with the profile or controller. I dont know. Im getting crazy with this. I also try a few machines in my country and all have the same problem with wrong colors.

8. Kwame

Kwame Member

The 1180/1160 seems to be extremely good at printing. Its prints are truly sharp and appealing to most eyes. However the 3220 gives a matte finish which is equally good. Kindly check the color settings and if persists get a canon service provider to check it for you.

9. Fer

Fer New Member

For US users, in the EMEA region the IRC3220-C1 rip version is sold as CLC3220. IRC3220 is usually non rip, using internal Print Controller. PCL/PS and UFR are default on these machines.

Al though the rip version of the 3220 is more accurate and much faster, the non-rip should not be that far off. In most cases the IRC (non rip) would print too dark or more intense then a CLC would do. This certainly would not be seen as "lacking punch"

U should try to connect the Mac using a IRC3220 PS (postscript) driver, u can adjust the printer settings on machine, adjust density in "print quality" and RGB rendering (presentation/perceptual) or CMYK profile (euroscale/swop/iso).

10. Kwame

Kwame Member

Thanks Fer, I will give your advice a try and see the outcome. So you recommend the use of Mac for printing of works rather than Windows PC?

11. Fer

Fer New Member

If u are using PS application (adobe stuff) and PS driver, than macs and windows should print the same. If u print a pdf on windows using PCL, colors will be bad.

12. Kwame

Kwame Member

Fer, well appreciated. I will ensure that I pull through with the advice for an improvement in my print output. What other experience will you like to share that will help all who are depending on these machines for livelihood.