Chromatic Ink

Discussion in 'Ink' started by Litho, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Litho

Litho Member

Hey guys want to pick your brains..

We are press proofing a job that will need to have a chromatic varnish applied to it to make it "pop" off the sheet, however it was explained to me by my ink tech that this is more of the flexo world kinda job than a conventional offset litho job.

Needless to say, to make this work I was told to way over ink the unit to achieve the intended result.. but the last thing I want is a brick and a mess. I know Pantone has Hexichrome Inks but i have never used nor seen them as this is the first time we have attempted to get into this market. The spots to be varnished are 377C, 370C and will be printed on a QM46. Is there a better way to do this kinda work or are we dabbing into a potential headache?

Thanks in advance!

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

i would suggest staying away from the hexichrome ink sets unless your willing to to do a complete fingerprinting of your press and prepress ink curves. You will also need to adjust proofing if you want to run hexichrome. This is not something you just throw into the fountain and run up to color. Calibration of entire process is needed to get good and repeatable results.

3. MacHenry1

MacHenry1 Previous User

PANTONE Hexachrome is a radically different printing process when compared to traditional CMYK ink configurations. PANTONE Hexachrome certfied inks are brighter, cleaner inks with higher florescence making them appear more punchy.

4. Ben Printing

Ben Printing Member

Completely agree, chromatic ink is used for a different situation and is not necessarily required in order to make a design 'pop'. Calibrating this type of ink is quite frankly a pain and you would be better served using hexichrome inks.

I think as long as you are calibrated to a Pantone scale you should have no complaints about the design 'popping', but you never know.