Carrier Belt Artifact

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by Stiv, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

I have a carrier belt artifact that shows up between 11.375" to 11.625" from the OB edge of the sheet. It does not show on Xerox paper of the similar weight - 80# txt.
    It appears it is from the carrier belt holes after the transfer and before the fuser.
    I don't have any experience with adjusting paper settings and am wondering if I set the media to heavier weight or lighter weight would eliminate the artifact, or is there something else I can do?

2. RMiGen

RMiGen Senior Member

Is the type of paper you are using uncoated and the artifact looks sort of like snow? You may need to change the transfer current down. Using the Help button on your PSIP (below the Diagnostics button), type in snow artifact and it will show an example of the artifact and how to adjust the transfer current.

That's my wild shot in the dark for adjusting paper settings and getting rid of an artifact.

3. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

No, the paper is 80# Gloss Coated Text. The artifact looks like swirly circles, same size as the holes on the carrier belt. I was told it may be related to heat build up in the fuser area, but it starts on the first sheet and not after running for awhile.

4. igen jim

igen jim Member

Have you tried changing the belt?

5. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

No I haven't changed the PR Belt. The artifact is coming from the black belt that carries the paper from the transfer to the fuser.
    When I changed the stock to Xerox paper, the artifact went away. It only shows if the area printing is a solid light tint.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  6. RMiGen

RMiGen Senior Member

This almost looks like the same thing I get with damaged paper. Are there any dents/clamp marks/bumps/etc on the sheet? If you rotate the sheets in the feeder and try again, do the artifacts stay on the same side, or move with the orientation of the sheet?

If you've already done this and all is well, I have nothing more to say. I've never seen that before. :(

7. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

The mark is always 11.375" in on the sheet. I just did a hard stop and could only see the artifact POST-Fuser and not pre-fuser. I can't figure it out. Why would the 3rd row of holes on the 4th belt cause swirly circle patterns on the sheet? I don't get it. I tried another weight of stock and the pattern was still there, just not on the Xerox paper.
    I tried to "fool" the iGen into thinking the stock was another weight (lighter & heavier) but the mark was still there.
    Ugh, Is it Friday yet?

8. RMiGen

RMiGen Senior Member

Is it on the fuser roll? Is the Pressure Roll Contact Arc within spec?

9. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

No and yes. I put a new roll on and got the same artifact.

10. igen jim

igen jim Member

Stiv
    Sorry thought PR belt.
    The last time I seen that artifact the transport belts needed replaced. The temp from the fuser.
    That is my 2 cents. Hope this will help.
    Jim:cool:

11. Milo Wilson

Milo Wilson Senior Member

It almost resembles donut deletions.

12. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

Can you explain further about donut deletions? What is the cause and/or solution?

13. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

I'm sure it has something to do with the police, right?

14. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

Prolly. lol. Mmmm, donuts.

15. flangmasterj

flangmasterj Member

One of the blower holes (don't know technical name) beneath your heat roll isn't blocked is it?

16. igen jim

igen jim Member

So Stiv
    What ever happened with this issue?
    Jim

17. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

It still occurs. I was told it was content and media related and the iGen is not the issue.

It shows up most with light blue screens and will appear on both 80# text and cover. It does not show up when running Xerox paper. It is always lined up with the 3nd set of holes of the 4th belt on the carrier from the fuser.

I am trying to get another brand of stock in to test.

18. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

Had some techs in diagnosing another issue when one comes across this carrier belt issue. Looks in the fuser area and tells me I need a fan upgrade. They should be installing it today, will let you know what happens.

Have new carrier belts with tiny holes and a mod to the fan at the exit of the fuser that only turns it on when paper is running.

So far, so good.