CAnon IRC2620N Fuser Unit Problem

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by meroje, Jun 16, 2010.

1. meroje

meroje Member

I have one question, it is possible the fixing unit will be broken because of bad drum units? Or drum units is also consumable?

thanks

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I don't see how the fixing unit could be broken because of bad drums. How exactly is your fixing unit or drums broken? I don't quite follow.

Over the past 7 years, our drums fail by either:
    1.) in the case of black, losing the ability to print midtones after 50% to 100% yield. As use continues, they get more and more of the "old copy machine" look where we have to increase density to maintain black solids and start to lose midtone grays. We also get specific artifacts such density differential streaks in the print direction as use continues. You can keep printing black and white text only however for a long time beyond 200% yeild typically so we keep them and swap these in whenever we have text only pages to print.
    2.) tossing up an error code, especially in the case of color which we can use longer. I don't think we've ever tossed a yellow drum because of quality issues, but use them until we get an E (can't remember how many zeros) 01B0 error where the machine demands a replacement or else will lock up with the red error message.
    3.) starting to dump too much toner inside the machine

Our fixing units typically fail around 90,000 11x17 prints on 20# bond; more frequently if we print on 32# stock or heavier stock. The fusers or fixing units fail by the soft rubber roller getting ripples or by actually tearing and causing paper to jam. (or if it's a slight ripple, skew, but we usually live with this for a short while but try and catch it before it actually tears as I imagine this isn't good for the machine's gears. Though sometimes you can't catch it before it tears and causes a stop.)

I don't see how your drums and fixing unit failures would be related though. Tell us more...

3. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Oh, "Or drum units is also consumable?"

That seems like a question of contract language. What do you mean exactly? The machine calculates the yield percentage as you print, but you can commonly print well beyond the 100% yield up to 200% yield without issues with the color drums especially. Here they were fist called a consumable, but people tended to change them too often to maintain 100% print quality. So they were changed to more of a durable like the fixing unit, etc. where a tech is involved in putting the order in. As long as you're not getting scratches, if you're willing to accept a <10% quality loss, it's not hard to print up to 180 to 200% yield on the colors. But as you get close to 200 you have to watch the print job frequently or you do risk a stack of bad prints when it lets go.

4. f.zohaib

f.zohaib New Member

Yes it might be possible, because of acces toner fixing may got damage.

5. meroje

meroje Member

Thanks Sir Jeff and Zohaib.

Maybe we need to change both the Drums and Fixing Assembly, Our problem is the ink is smeared in the print out and sometimes crumpled paper jammed, and was stock on the fixing unit.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010

6. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Do I understand you correctly that you're saying that if a drum fails it could dump so much excess toner that this could damage the fixing unit?

(I'm only a printer, not a tech, so there's lots I haven't seen. Just haven't see anything close to this on ours)