Canon IR C3220, is it good?

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by Hyksos, Feb 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Hyksos

Hyksos New Member

Hi, we have the possibility to buy a used C3220 for cheap and we wanted to know if this is a good printer for our need, because we can't test it (it's too far away)

We already have a Ricoh aficio CL7300, wich does a great job for our need, It can do bleed on 3 side and can print some amazing micro text, very tiny character that can only be read with a magnifier. But it's very bad to produce consistent result, the color is never the same if we print the exact same job a few weeks later, also it need frequent alignment, print only 500 sheet and the color will be misaligned after that...

I checked the C3220, it seems it can't do bleed, but it have reduced print margin of about 2.5 militer, that's not perfect for our need but we can handle it.

What about the micro printing?? Does anyone know if it's any good at it?? It don't have to be color, it's 100% black, but it have to be able to print text at about 1.25 point, 1.4 max (The Ricoh can go as low as 1 point, never saw any other laser printer able to beat that)

We print most of the time on 28lbs paper, using domtar Lynx, this is not the best paper but it's cheap and we usually don't print full color photo, we mostly print color line, logo and faint background image.

Also we print job that are re-printed by client in there laser printer, does the toner on the sheet stick to the sheet or it goes on the other printer fuser and make a mess??

So, do you think I should buy it??

Thanks for your input.

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

We've put 1.1 million and 550,000 11x17 and 12x18 prints on our IR C3200 and IRC3220s and consider them workhorses. They are modular and have been quite reliable for us - over 5 years we required professional service under our service contract about once per year which I think is pretty amazing compared to the predecessor printer/copiers. (We do have a support contract with a great tech though which is invaluable for sorting even small issues and getting small parts that would take you time to source yourself, but these printers have been quite rock steady.) However, these are a bit dated now in terms of quality vs. the current. Grayscale photos are quite weak on this printer, as are grayscale / black and white solids - the black is not very "black" and both of ours tend to suffer from intermittent gear jitter which shows up particularly in medium grayscale when printing in black and white. The color is very nice though and quite pleasing to my eye still, but not as high in resolution as current printers. It has a nice and very pleasing color quality, but isn't quite as crisp as others now. There aren't many printers that can bleed off the edge of the page - I actually didn't know there were any laser printers that provided this option. The standard I've always seen with color lasers is to still print on one size larger sheet e.g. 12x18 and then cut down to the 11x17 bleed for perfect bleed edges. It would be cool, but I've always been told it wouldn't work as well due to the pull of the sheet entering/exiting the fuser, expense in time and extra parts cleaning the bleed-off the toner so it doesn't end up on the next sheet, etc.

As far as micro printing, I probably would not choose a 3220 with its 600 dpi resolution. I actually gave this a test on ours in response to another post here a while back - see the attachment in this thread for what I got on mine:
    http://www.colorprintingforum.com/c...m-print-very-small-font-point-sizes-1151.html

3. Hyksos

Hyksos New Member

omg, I checked the scan and it's terrible, even at 2 point it's ugly.

That's strange, even my old HP Laserjet 8000, which is only 600dpi, can print almost perfect text at only 1.4 point. (And yes, I do mean REAL 1.4 pt, you need a magnifier to read it)

Also there's LOT of black spot, is it because you boosted the black transfer bias to try to get better solid black? Maybe this is bad to preserve tinny black detail?

4. jmgrost

jmgrost Member

Hi, i just post a topic with my IRC3200. So ill apreciate if you can help me please, im getting crazy. My machine doesnt print the right colors.