Canon iPF8300 clicking noise

Discussion in 'Large Format Inkjet Printers' started by Yoshi, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Yoshi

Yoshi Member

Bought a used Canon and it made this sound when I turned it on. Some of the error messages on the screen calls for the replacement of the print heads. But, I'm not too sure if the sound in the video stems from the print head as well. In the meantime, I'm gonna see about getting the current printheads refurbished. The clicking sounds would go away after a couple of minutes, which allows me to use the display and look at the various menu options.

2. Biggs

Biggs Senior Member

That’s quite the sound. It sounds like you have a press running in the background. All that noise is coming from the Canon?

You’re right in thinking it’s not the printhead, at least I’ve never heard a failing printhead make a sound like that. It could be one of the belts, or perhaps an issue with one of the motors

3. Yoshi

Yoshi Member

The noise is very loud and concerning. I forgot to add that I can still feed paper in and out of the printer. It can still cut the paper as well. To me, it sounds like something is stuck and trying to get out. Next question involves cost and worth of the printer. The printer has less than 11m^2 of print on it, though!

4. KokaArt

KokaArt New Member

Did you ever find out what this problem was - mine is doing exactly the same thing.

5. remoteaccess17

remoteaccess17 Member

Are you getting a Call for service message? I think the sound is the wiper purge unit trying to clean printheads. Cannon will trouble shoot & service it for about $1,500 which was quite a bargain. It's an old unit but built like a tank!

6. KokaArt

KokaArt New Member

I am getting a right printhead error the very long code when I try to print. The noise never stops once I turn the printer on. I was getting the error message a few times before it started making this noise. 1500 bucks is a lot for me. Just bought this printer used from a friend because I didn't have enough money to replace my Epson p9000 that had died with printhead issues. Only Done maybe 30 or 40 prints on it at most. That's a lot of money to put into used printer

7. I.T. Supplies

I.T. Supplies Member

The Pro series are actually built better and redone from the ground up. You won't have as much shaking as the x300/400 series, and a single (larger) head vs the 2 heads. We've gone through about 6 44" demos (kept selling them) and rarely had any issues with them. Plus, they are pretty quite.

If you look around, you can get a new unit for about $1130 (after all rebates and the full set of ink that comes with it). This is basically the cost after everything you get, but you pay about $3200 after mail-in (for this months deal). $2069 worth of ink on the 44" model which is where the $1130 price comes. If you speak to Canon and do the service call, that's where the diagnosis and parts and labor come in play if it needs to go that far. If it's just the head issue, about $500 for the replacement and you can do that yourself. I believe the new Canon Pro series is better than Epson's P series as far as technology and what you can get with it; plus less ink usage during cleaning and printing. Epson still makes great printers, but Canon is passing them up with technology features and service (in our opinion).

Good luck on finding out the issue or if you want to chance getting a new printer, you'll start the warranty and get updated technology!

IT Supplies

8. KokaArt

KokaArt New Member

Thanks - I might have to go with a new printer - I just don't see putting $1500 give or take into this one. I know he just had major repairs done to it before I bought it and they replaced several parts and then found out was air in the line. I have looked and I don't think this is the air issue. The noise is not a good sign. I do miss my Epson P series printer but with their print head issues, just don't know I can go back that direction. I might do some looking and see what I might do. Wishing I had just gone ahead and bought new when my Epson died...

9. Hoji Louyeh

Hoji Louyeh New Member

Hi , that noise is coming from both side ink sub-tank units and it is quite normal when a production printer is not being used as much as it is supposed to. The system is designed to go through thus “Agitating Ink” cycle at the time of power on to proverb ink drying in the tubes. I would recommend to :
    A) Do not turn off your printer and let it go to sleep mode.
    B) Try to use it more , put more volume on it.