Canon 3220 toner problems

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by leon909, Apr 18, 2011.

1. leon909

leon909 Member

Please can someone help me. I am using original canon toners. I am finding that the first 1 or two print from the machine are fine and then the toner seems to have bubbles in it which just flake off if rubbed. I have tried this with various uncoated papers (On Business 120gsm) and normal 100gsm copier bond and it seems to be the same but wose if printing onto a smooth digital paper. I have tried all settings from heavy paper to tracing paper and it does not seem to make any difference.

Im thinking it may be the fuser but visual inpsection looks ok.

Any help would really be appreciated.

2. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

I would have to agree that it could be a fuser issue. Insufficient heat could cause the toner to not fully fuse. It could be a bad circuit board. It could be a thermostat that's relaying a poor reading..

If your under a service agreement i would have someone stop by and have a look...

3. leon909

leon909 Member

Thanks Michael for the reply.

I'm not under contract with this machine but might have to get an engineer out. I thought someone may have had the same problem. If its a fuser unit I can get one for arround 250 pounds but dont want to find that it's the same.

4. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

It would be best to have someone take a look. It would be a shame to buy and replace a part and still face the same issue. Its definitely not something in the marking engine of the machine. It has to be something going on with fusing.

If it's an older Canon it could be the web. My Canon no longer uses the web system. But if your web is not distributing Oil properly it could be leaving blisters or dry patches.

5. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I've only experienced this issue once with a 3200/3220 and it fixed itself before I had to diagnose it, so unfortunately I don't have much to add, except that the 3200/3220 are oil-free fusers. When a similar issue happened to me, I was running 28# hammermill with a high coverage. Oddly, all the black didn't fuse and started blistering/shingling off the page in the finisher. The color areas on the page were all fine. Unfortunately I didn't catch it until a couple hundred had done this. I did a full auto-gradiation to see if the color patches were affected, and after that it was fine and didn't resurface. I ran another 40k prints on that fuser without issue. So I don't have any good advice for you. I believe I've used around twenty 3200/3220 fixing units to date and every one has failed with melted/torn rubber on the roller except one which had a failed bearing, but of course, someone is going to get one with a different failure.

FWIW, I like to have a spare fuser on hand anyway as I know I'll use it eventually, about every 90,000 11x17 prints.

6. discountprintingservice

discountprintingservice Senior Member

sounds like you either have the improper fuser temperature selected (correct paper type/weight selected sets the correct fuser temp automatically so if you are feeding heavy paper using plain paper setting fuser temperature is likely not enough...if that is not it look at orange fuser rollers...if they are rippled then you have a bad fuser roller or possibly a bad fuser unit all together...the only reason toner won't stick to paper is simply that it is not getting hot enough....