C60 Colour Matching ?

Discussion in 'Xerox Digital Presses' started by short run digital, Apr 8, 2015.

1. short run digital

short run digital Member

Hi all,

We have just taken delivery of a brand new C60 with single OHCF and offset catch tray. This is our first ever Light Production machine.

We have bought the press in its most basic form and we did not realise that it would only have pcl enabled and not post script.

Obviously we are happy with the speed, resolution and registration accuracy already. However, we have just tried a job that we had a nitemare with a few weeks ago, the job has multiple shades of purple which our workcenter 7830 could not match, no matter what we did or what colour settings / profiles we tried.

Sadly the C60 has just had exactly the same results, exactly the same wrong colour matching.

So if we buy a rip can we solve this colour issue and how long will we have to spend using the rip to get these shades of purple correct ?

We cannot justify spending several thousand pounds if it does not solve the problem quickly with minimal fuss.

Also we print a lot of jobs that are colour one side and black and white black, we either have to print these manual duplex or with all colour controls off otherwise the press will charge a colour click for the reverse side black and white page, will a rip solve this ?

Thanks in advance.

2. InterfaceP

InterfaceP Senior Member

I have yet to see a C60 with my eyes much less work on one, but my experience tells me you should buy a RIP. The color calibration shou;d take care of any issues you may have.

Also you should be able to calibrate from the scanner bed. You will need the color test strips, not particularly sure exactly the ones you need.

3. short run digital

short run digital Member

Thanks,

Ive just used siqa several times and cannot get the registration spot on. So im having to use x and y shift in the print driver.
    Just printed 200 sets of covers and the image / registration shift throughout the stack is worse than our office based workcenter machine !
    Not impressed !

4. short run digital

short run digital Member

Oh wow, this is just great.............not........the offset stack tray will not offset SRA3, and if you try to insert pre-printed covers you get charged a colour click !!!
    Total complete and utter disappointment with this brand new, so called c60 production machine.

5. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I don't have experience with the c60 but I believe the add-ons make a difference on these smaller machines. In our case for example we worked with a xerox sales person sending him samples of what we were producing and going over our expectations in much detail and what we could sacrifice and what we couldn't. We ended up with a small 242 which fit our budget but got the oversized high capacity feeder, finisher, and a basic fiery. On paper the addons add $ for what seems like you can do without them, but they really make life easier. We only used the finisher to stack up finished prints and most of our printing was on normal weight bond and it worked well to stack up 1000 prints. (without it we would have had to be continuously emptying the little side tray distracting a person from getting the next run ready to print.) However, with budget in mind we only got the advanced finisher (not sure what all was available in terms of decurlers for our model but we didn't get one) and so covers would get a curl and so we had to either let them flatten or run in the right order or it would be a real adventure trying to get them through for the second pass. If we had a higher budget a decurler would have been great for the covers. On feeding, I was really glad we spent the money for the OHCF. It doesn't sound necessary, but when we had a problem with ours and I tried to feed from the drawers, I realized how much I liked the OHCF as I just couldn't get nearly as good registration feeding from the drawers. With the OCHF I would still get variation on different stocks and different days/weeks so had to tweak the x and y, but it held registration for me over a run of 1,000 to 1,500. On the fiery, due to budget we only got the low end RIP but at least it was a fiery; because our runs were usually around 1,000 I didn't need the fastest RIP. If I had a bigger budget I would spend the $ for calibration as it did take some effort to auto grad the machine, then calibrate the fiery off the glass, and then do a little tweaking. The full color calibration setup would be nice but we choose what we could do with the budget of the work we were running on the machine. Overall I was very happy with it, although the base unit needed at least some of the extras to get our work done. It wasn't pretty trying to run our work when the OHCF was down for a day... of the 1.5 million 11x17, 12x18, and 13x19 prints that went through our machine, 1.499 million went through the OHCF!

6. short run digital

short run digital Member

Xerox C60 - try before you buy !!!

Thanks jeff,

In a nutshell, our C60 "Production machine" has worse front to back registration than our workcenter 7830 !! And all of the other 'office based' xerox machines we have used in the past.

With all the other associated problems we now wish that we had not purchased this machine.

Total, utter disappointment and I hope this thread gets viewed by lots of potential C60 buyers.

7. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Our experience with xerox was excellent but we did a lot of research on what to buy to get the right balance of machine for budget. We thought long and hard on what to cut and what we couldn't cut to get our job done with it as there are always tradeoffs.

8. short run digital

short run digital Member

Well this is a bum deal for us.

Front to back registration consistency is really poor and the paper types names in the print driver do not correspond with the paper types names on the press. Making it almost impossible to use.

Our office workcenter is doing a better job !!

What a joke.

9. short run digital

short run digital Member

And now the air assist on our brand new ohcf has stopped working.
    wow this has to be worst brand new machine we have ever had.

10. short run digital

short run digital Member

Either we have bought a lemon or I would strongly suggest steering well clear of the C60 until the registration is sorted out !
    It is, quite frankly, appalling !!

11. InterfaceP

InterfaceP Senior Member

Did you buy brand new? If not what was the meter count?

12. short run digital

short run digital Member

Brand new.
    The machine has siqa adjustment tool, which we have found entirely useless as the registration and skew are off, erratically, in every direction throughout the run. We should have bought one of the older machines that has had years of tweaking by Xerox to iron out the problems.

13. adriansto

adriansto Senior Member

Why you don't call the Xeox service to make the machine to work as the technical specifications says ?
    If the machine is new you dont pay anything for that.

14. short run digital

short run digital Member

Hi,

I did a lot of tests yesterday and the machine now appears to be 'just in spec'.
    The spec is + - 1.2mm and our machine is constantly, exactly 1.2mm out of register in any direction !

So, we are stuffed and theres nothing we can do about it.

15. adriansto

adriansto Senior Member

Place a call and when the tech arrive explain him about.