Build up of ink on blanket

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by imaquin, Feb 2, 2011.

1. imaquin

imaquin Member

Hi I was wondering had any noticed this issue. We have a QMDI classic on which we are currently running presstek plates and classic colour inks. The press is printing well at them moment but we notice when we print NCR paper we get a build up of ink on the blankets after only about 500 sheets. We use the same NCR on our conventional presses and this is never a problem. Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this as its a bit of a pain?

Thanks

2. 2ampress

2ampress Senior Member

I somewhat experience what you are talking about. The only thing I can think of is a combination of two factors. One being that the ink's viscosity level is higher than conventional inks and doesn't perform the same on the blanket. Second is the chemical treatment of the carbonless paper causes the ink to not adhere as well and requires just a bit more pressure to release from the blanket.

3. imaquin

imaquin Member

Thanks
    I think you must be right about it not adhering as well to the paper because of the carbonless treatmenr as when on the CB (top) sheet its not an issue as the coating is on reverse of the sheet. - It's still a pain though

4. imaquin

imaquin Member

Just a lit bit more info. We were using a paper called "GIROFORM" when we encountered the problem with ink build up on the blanket since we have switched to "IDEM" brand it no longer occurs. (when we use some of the origional stock Giroform problem re appears) must be re acting with ink

5. Marc Bremer

Marc Bremer Senior Member

I have the same problem with printing IDEM on the back side.