Book publishing for small school

Discussion in '8 ½ x 11 Color Laser Printers' started by ltlredwagon, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ltlredwagon

ltlredwagon New Member

I'm new to this, so if I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know.

I have a small school. We are looking to publish some of our own curriculum materials. 8-1/2 X 11, spiral bound. Most of the books will be about 100 pages - 50 sheets printed front and back. These will be color copies.

We are a small school, so I'm guessing we would be printing no more than 300 books per year. This would be done on an "on-demand" basis for the most part - we predict that 20 students will be needing Book X in the next 6 months, so we print up and bind 20 copies.

We are trying to determine the most cost-effective way to do this. I'm guessing that with such low quantities, the cost-per-page will tend to be high, but I'm trying to determine the best way to approach this - copier, laser printer, inkjet printer, etc.

Appreciate any comments.

Bob

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Bob, the best way would be to find somebody descent and reasonable near-by and outsource it. I am sure there must be someone who can respect the fact that it is for a school and give you a nice price.

3. murellrios

murellrios New Member

I agree with unlimitedBT. Out sourcing the same would enable you to cut the costs and make it easier to improve the margin as well. I guess that is the best way to go.

publishing a book