Bleed

Discussion in 'Print Glossary' started by Color Printing Forum Admin, May 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Color Printing Forum Admin

Color Printing Forum Admin Administrator

When an image is to extend completely to the edge of the finished sheet, an extra image or color area is required beyond the finished sheet size termed the "bleed" to allow cutting with no white area revealed due to shifts in the paper stack or other inaccuracies while cutting/trimming to finish size.Typically bleed for most commercial printers is 1/8" supplied image area beyond the finish cut size of the piece.

(Further, in addition to the 1/8" bleed to be provided beyond the finished cut size, typical instruction is to keep type or other critical elements 1/8" inside the finished cut size to prevent critical elements from being cut due to shifting or unavoidable cutting inaccuracies.)

2. ODCMAGAZINE

ODCMAGAZINE Member

Hi Guys,

I am a new business owner and editor, I need some with getting setting right for printing a magazine which is printed on 11x17 sheets (landscape) and view as 8.5x11 (portrait) as a normal magazine, but I don't cut it.

Info:
    Printer Canon iR C3220 with C-2 Imagepass
    Saddle staple Finisher
    Workstation 4 and basic drivers for the printer from Canon
    Design the magazine with Adobe Indesign CS 3
    Also have Adobe Acrobat Pro 7

Here is my issue:
    I have been trying to print it on 11x17 sheets, as I have stated we don't cut it, the pages are white so all I need to do is have the middle seam together - is this a bleed issue? If so can you advise.

Here is what I have been doing:
    Using the Indesign print booklet feature and creating an imposed copy, sending to Acrobat then printing to previewer where it is not set up right, I then installed Command Workstation 4 and it printed one the PDF's that I had imposed but the middle of the magazine had a gap where the pages where not coming together.

If you can help with this thanks.

Cheers,

Sean

Here is what it looks likes.

View attachment 571
    [​IMG]

3. archipelago

archipelago Senior Member

I think of bleed as the extra image area which is trimmed to yield the finished print size. (e.g. if you were printing this full bleed, you would likely print the 11x17 page on a 12x18 sheet on your printer. You would do the layout so the graphics/images were sized with a 1/8" bleed, or 17 1/4" x 11 1/4". On a laser printer like this you might use 1/4" bleeds if the registration is not that consistent between sheets or sides (lasers can often feed with a slight skew or stretch the sheet from the heat). Bleed is the "extra image" you print so you can cut the sheet so that the image runs right to the edge of the finished piece with no white space. I'm not an indesign user, but the gap in the middle I wouldn't think of as a bleed unless your page size is not 8.5 x 11. I'd think of that more as a margin issue. Hopefully an indesign user will jump into the thread at http://www.colorprintingforum.com/l...oftware/setting-up-booklet-indesign-1027.html and clarify the relevant imposition settings.

4. Ben Printing

Ben Printing Member

Bleed is one of the most important elements to pay attention to while printing. The amount of space left for bleed will impact the finished product in very real ways. One of the most common mistakes in the printing industry is not having the right bleed width and thus throwing the entire proportion off.

Great advice and the perfect thing for beginners to pay attention to.