Blanket Tips / Tricks on 5600

Discussion in 'HP Indigo Digital Presses' started by Spiddr_, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Spiddr_

Spiddr_ Member

Hi there i am new to running the HP Indigo 5600 and was wondering if you guys had any tips / tricks to putting a new blanket on i am use to the 7800 way which is very different indeed.

Thanks in advance

2. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Everyone has their way but......Check the little tabs that fit into the cyl to be sure they are not bent out of shape. Those get mangled sometimes when HP ships them. Check they are uniform and even and bar is flat and not bent. I put blanket of flat surface face down then peel the plastic backer about 1/3rd down evenly. Start at right or left corner then other side then center. When you peel the backer down square it against blanket to check its even. At this point engage impression on. Carefully fit lead edge pins into cyl slots and be sure metal bar seats well and sits flat. Then adhere lead edge bar/pins with fingers for nice flush tight fit. Pins in first then turn bar up to seat and adhere lead edge. Here's where it gets funky. At this point you have the lead edge attached and the plastic backer peeled down a bit. Flip the peeled backer over and thru the ITM hood which should be "up" during blanket change. Square up plastic backer with blanket so it's even not crooked. Right hand then grips plastic backer dead center on ITM hood. Get plastic backer taunt then ease your grip forward towards press a smidge to give plastic a little play. hold as is with right hand! Now left hand on job button and go. As the press inches forward change grip and grab the plastic backer. Do not stop! Once the blanket is almost on pull the plastic backer off quickly. Roll cyl around once (impression is still on!) and check tail of blanket is stuck to cyl. Check for wrinkles if good....Take off impression and run 1st transfer cal. This is how I was taught at HP. I "think" there is a how to vid on the HP site or PrintOS which helps to see. It can be hard to understand otherwise. It's a pain in the ***! No matter how good you are chances are you'll mess one up and wrinkle it sometimes. It happens. I'm far from perfect.
    Oh..... to remove the old blanket. I carefully cut the lead edge flush to the metal bar with razor knife. Remove metal bar (careful tabs/pins do not break and get stuck in slots) and peel off old blanket. Clean sides of blanket cyl to remove dry ink residue. Always change impression paper first too. Good luck you'll be expert in no time! Anything not clear ask I'll try to explain better.

3. Spiddr_

Spiddr_ Member

Thanks for your reply, its so annoying coming from using a 7800 blanket change to a sticky blanket lol i will get use to it tho.

Thanks again

4. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

You're welcome. In the weekly/monthly maint section in your press software there's how to vids. This is your "on press documentation" section. Click the little yellow lightbulb next to a topic, It will bring you to a vid...... top of page click to see all topics.......them expand "blanket maintenance" tab. you'll see multiple topics with 1 being blanket replacement. I forgot about these till today.

5. Neess

Neess Senior Member

I peel off the plastic completely, take a used pip foil platicroll and attach to the other edge so it gives me a grip, slides ind the metal hooks on the blanketdrum, holds the blanket with the piproll in a firm grip, inching it through the machine, when it nears the bottom i just let go of the platickroll and it will automaticly release from the blanket glue, removes the piproll and checks bottom of blanket is in place. done job.

bassjase, Spiddr_ and FFR428 like this.

6. Spiddr_

Spiddr_ Member

This is the way i was shown to do to it, so thanks its nice to know that other people are doing the same lol.

Cheers

bassjase likes this.