Black ink scratches and rubs - Is this a problem with ink or substrate?

Discussion in 'Large Format Inkjet Printers' started by Bennybennison, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Bennybennison

Bennybennison New Member

Hi there, so I use a range of large format Epsons and the problem is with them all. If I print something which uses full black I find that it rubs off or scratches when I handle it. I don't know if this is an issue with my ink or with the paper.

The issue occurs when I use HP matte paper and Cannon semi gloss paper but doesn't occur when I use Hahnemuhle. This seems like it is the paper due to this but I would have thought the Cannon and HP papers would be designed to not let ink rub off. I am using the correct settings for Photo and Matte and it is in fact happening for both settings with both blacks.

If you have any thoughts that would be helpful before I start spending money on testing.

2. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

not all inks are the same. not all paper is the same. the chemistry is different in coatings on the paper. I would call up Epson first and ask for compatible papers to use in the printer. Secondly call your paper supplier for any matching papers and ask for samples to test before you buy full rolls. Most of the time they will be glad to help for free as long as you place at least one order with them in the future.

Bennybennison likes this.
  3. Bennybennison

Bennybennison New Member

Thanks Bill, I should have mentioned that I am using compatible inks rather than Epson's own inks. Am I right in thinking that that manufacturers recommendations are based on paper that works with their ink rather than papers that work with their printers? Is there anything about the printers specifically, other than the ink, that would create issues with different types of paper?

4. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

Yes , in many cases ink with paper more than ink with printer. Each printer lays down ink differently. Unfortunatly when ever going to compatable items we tend to lose one way or another. It will end up into a trial error situation till you find a happy medium you can live with. We found by keeping printer and ink from same manufacture works better. It took a few trials to find a comparable , less costly paper for us. We ended up with fewer problems this way.

5. iJim

iJim New Member

I may have this completely wrong. But it could be something to do with the curing process of the printer rather than substrate or ink alone. If there's no on-board curing on the printer then have you let it rest for 10 mins before handling or introduced a heater at the rollers/tray?

6. Biggs

Biggs Senior Member

Pure Aqueous based ink, like Espon's ink of choice, and the HP Z series, due to tend to scratch easily.
    Ample dry time will help, but the prints really aren't meant to be handled so much.

I have a Canon Pro 4000s, with aqueous/solvent hybrid ink. It print beautifully, drys quickly, and resists scratching.