Best printer for what I'm doing?? Please help.

Discussion in '11 x 17 Color Laser Printers' started by tommytime, Dec 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tommytime

tommytime New Member

Okay;

Totally new to the digital print world here but currently I have over a dozen clients that are constantly needing brochures, business cards, etc...

Up till now I have been outsourcing these print jobs normally having to wait up to a week for delivery........ I am now wanting to handle these smaller runs inhouse..

I attempted to shop around online but the options are literally ENDLESS.... Can someone point me in the right direction?

I would like to be able to print nice business cards, 11x17 brochures and standard newsletters...... Quantities? I'm not sure at this point.... Maybe 2,000 - 3,000 sheets per week?

Budget; 1-4k tops.

If possible I'd like to run these double sided as well (without having to do this manually)....

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

2. plotter

plotter Senior Member

i would seriously look at getting a contract machine, pay per click or whatever. If you buy it without, you will at some point face a hefty bill.

3. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Agreed -- I do not think what you desire to do is feasible with a budget of 1-4k unless you can design everything in a very minimalist low-coverage design or the quantities are very very low (under 100 of each design.)

Otherwise, if money is an object you can't come close to competing with offset prices as the consumable cost on non-contract digital printers on a per-print basis is very high. And even if money is not an object, with a budget of 4k or less you'd be better off paying rush charges to get priority at an existing printer who can offer higher quality with things like finishing options (UV or varnish for a variety of even finishes), cutters, folders, etc.

With a contract (price per click includes service and supplies) you have to worry about the commitment usually starting with a new leased machine, but you get a supply chain, much better price per print, and access to techs who can troubleshoot your machine when a quality issue comes up. You can do this if you want to and have fun, but you're going to have to increase your budget a bit or else it will be quite a struggle. (for example, you'll need a decent cutter to cut the business cards (3k); you'll need a folder to fold the brochures (1.5k), you'll probably need a stitcher/booklet maker to do the newsletters (2.5k)...)