Best Deal for PC Printers for Handmade Books?

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by bsbray, Apr 15, 2015.

1. bsbray

bsbray New Member

I've got into the habit of taking notes on various things into word processors, with pages set to 8.5 by 5.5 (a 11x8.5 sheet folded in half). So I can print the pages 2 per side of paper, fold them, and sew them all together and then bind them with cloth or leather. I made some family tree books like this and they're really nice and durable.

The problem is I was using an Epson printer for this that has totally screwed itself with dried ink and would not print any black at all. I took the printer apart and washed and dried the print head, squeezed water through its nozzles and everything. After it dried, it printed some but still is bad quality. I also installed new ink cartridges (over $40 altogether) and just after running a few test prints, I was already being told that I needed to buy more black ink. Seriously? I know they're scamming me, and this isn't going to work for 600 page books that I'd like to print out (ie, 150 normal sheets).

So this is the problem I need your experience in solving...

I need a printer with good quality (for color pictures too), that won't run me broke from ink (even if it means refilling cartridges myself), or break my wallet in general. I realize I'm going to have to probably spend more money than I'd like for this, but I want some expert advice first.

Thanks guys...