banner material

Discussion in 'Large Format Inkjet Printers' started by chris___, Jan 4, 2010.

1. chris___

chris___ New Member

Hello,

I have a Canon IPF6000s. I am interested in making indoor/outdoor banners with vinyl or nylon. Unfortunately I have no experience with this. What would be a good media for acomplishing this with this printer?

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

2. ddhunter

ddhunter New Member

13 oz. Vinyl is the most versatile and cost effective material for outdoor prints. There are different thickness' and coatings available so do your homework. Some are for only printing on 1 side while others can be printed on both sides.

Dennis

3. plotter

plotter Senior Member

correct me if im wrong but, for banner use outside, you need to use solvent inks, and the canons run pigment or dye based. I have a canon and would not use it for anything that goes outside.

4. alfredjr18

alfredjr18 Member

You need to know about Vinyl sign making

Vinyl sign making is one of the most effective yet low cost modes of advertisement. When you drive down the road and see those huge banners endorsing one product or the other, be aware that most of them are vinyl banners. In this age of modern technology, vinyl sign making is done digitally where advertisement banners are now printed using large format inkjet printers. These printers can print a full billboard on a single piece of PVC material.

PVC is the most widely used substrate for vinyl sign making. PVC offers different options to the printers – they may be single or double sided and their weights range from 9 ounces per square yard to 22 ounces per square yard. The huge banners that cover an entire side of a building are also made using meshed PVC base so that wind can pass through them and they don’t get torn.

When it comes to vinyl signs, there are various options available to the printers and the advertisers. The earliest vinyl signs were made by hand painting graphics and letters on them. Painters used to play with colors and different letter styles to create attractive banners. These banners are not in vogue right now because they are expensive and time consuming. These banners are only used for small occasions.

5. ddhunter

ddhunter New Member

Pigmented ink should be ok for short outdoor use, 30 day maximum. Dye sublimation is for indoor use only.

6. ACTJAY

ACTJAY Member

If you are wanting to use the Canon to print indoor banners then you will have no problem. Be careful though because there are specific banner materials for printing on aqueous (h2o) based printers like your 6000s. You do not want to use a solvent material which will normally be sold in 10,13,15oz weights. You want to look for something like Canon's Scrim Banner Vinyl or similar. As for outdoor, thats a little more involved. You would normally use a solvent printer for this application, however if you would like to use the Canon then I would suggest laminating the product. Water based inks in the elements don't hold up well. Send me an email if you need further information, I have been in the wide format industry for years and will be happy to help you find what you are looking for.

jayferguson@live.com

-Jay

7. printer

printer New Member

we print onto vinyl and PVC banner. From my experience I wouldn't consider using anything other than eco solvent or full solvent inks for outdoor printed media.
    If you supply something that doesn't last its unlikely your customer will use you again so a few extra pennies up front is a worth while investment.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that....

check out some of our banners that we printed all with high quality solvent inks on our 2 metre wide machine in London.

www.bannersdirect.co.uk

8. [=Brian=]

[=Brian=] Member

Using a canon printer that uses pigmented inks, you will get about 6 months outdoor life when using waterproof banner material such as this: Scrim Vinyl

A lot of outdoor printing is done on solvent machines, but you can certainly use today's pigment printers to produce quality work that will last. And if you desire a higher level of protection then i recommend that you apply some sort of lamination. Otherwise elemental factors can start to scratch your image.

9. [=Brian=]

[=Brian=] Member

I found another website you can try to order scrim vinyl

10. colorjet

colorjet New Member

COLORJET Konica Minolta Banner printer

Brand Large format inkjet printers manufacturer---Colorjet
    We got factory both in India and China, we supply reliable printers at competitive price. We are also looking for capable distributor in your country.

To know more about our products and services, you can go to:
    http://www.colorjetindia.com/
    www.colorjetchina.com
    sales@colorjetchina.com

11. rokk

rokk Member

Outdoor use:

Durability of the prints is the main thing with this water based printer. If it's dye based you can forget about it as your clients will be back complaining - and rightly so as dye will fade quickly and it's not scratch resistant . pigment will remove the fading problem and it's probably a little more scratch resistant than dye but still not good enough in my opinion.

Plus the banner media/ ink are more more expensive than their solvent counterparts. And they have a longer drying time. This + higher cost of materials + an overall inferior product + customers being dissatisfied = asking for trouble.

Indoor use :
    Different story as this printer will produce a higher quality print than a solvent machine + you don't have to worry about the environmental conditions.

12. robortpetric

robortpetric New Member

Good Source for Banners

There are so many company out there for your requirement, i have very good experiance with 1 store which providing really awesome quality in every types of printing products, you can check it out : http://www.bannerbuzz.com, i am definilty sure tha you will get answer from this site.

13. TyrrellTechDan

TyrrellTechDan Member

Chris,

Not sure where you are located but feel free to email me with any questions DRamm@tyrrelltech.com and I will be more than happy to help get you in the right direction.