B/W pdf files printing as colour

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by AndyM, Feb 5, 2008.

1. AndyM

AndyM Member

When the click price for colour is considerably more than B/W the problem I have is when printing out a document with both colour and B/W it often registers B/W as colour, does anyone know an easy workaround.

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

What specific printer?

We have the same thing with our IRC3200/imagepass C1 and IRC3220/imagepass C2 and just accept it as the way the driver is. If we specifically send a job to the driver and set the driver to cmyk the click is color. If we specifically set the driver to bw the click is black and white. We have no way to send a mixed bw/color document at once other than paying for all pages as color. Also we have no way to duplex one side color and one side black and white without paying for both sides color. We simply break up the job if there is any quantity involved and then post-collate. If it's just a few copies we figure it all evens out overall with this slight overcharge balancing out some of the heavy pages we print.

3. AndyM

AndyM Member

We have the CLC3200 and Imagepress C1.

There are workarounds in some cases. Microsoft Words default black setting needs to be changed from automatic to black. If you are supplied with pdf files they can be taken into Photoshop, changed to greyscale, saved as tiff files and placed into InDesign, you then label it as black. Companies like Canon will not spend money trying to solve this problem as they are enjoying the extra revenue.

4. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Am I reading that right that with InDesign you can print a mixed color and black and white document and are only charged color clicks for the color pages? I don't have indesign - I'm a CorelDraw user since 1992 (I know, I know) and have not found any way to accomplish this other than splitting the print job into color and black and white pages. (I could probably use job build and print in sections, but I havne't needed it to be together that badly to date, being easier to just post-colalte.)

I tried a few times printing mixed PDFs and it always registered the black pages as color clicks for me so I gave up after a few tries thinking it would always not only often do this. Maybe I didn't try enough with the print driver...

On the subject of saving money, with our two IRCs I really wish they had a way to print a strip, scan it off either the belt or a scan with reg marks, and then adjust density across the drum to compensate for weak spots. This would really extend drum life. I don't think we'll ever see that for the IRCs though as they like selling new drums I suppose! I think you might have this feature for the imagepress though ???

5. AndyM

AndyM Member

When creating a job from scratch using InDesign a document with mixed colour and B/W pages is not an issue the black you choose is 100% black. With Coral Draw do you have the facility to change the black text from Auto to black.

Drum life etc. is not an issue with me as we are on contract, where click charges cover full parts and labour.

6. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I need to revisit this -- until I read your post tonight, I hadn't thought about it since 2003 (interesting how you often get into doing something one way, sometimes a workaround, and don't give it another thought) which was a couple versions back of corel at which time I thought it was just how the print drivers worked. Will check this out tommorrow!

7. Gerry

Gerry New Member

Hi, I am currently taking a case against Canon with regards to this issue, is there any way we can legally prove that this is happening? I know it is but I'm hitting a brick wall when trying to get proof positive that they profit from charging colour clicks for B/W documents.

Thanking you in advance

8. AndyM

AndyM Member

Hi, I'm not sure it just affects Canons, I've heard people who have other machines having the same problem. It seems to be an Acrobat issue. I have a workaround which sometimes works. Within Acrobat choose the Advanced tab/Print Production/Convert Colours/Conversion Attributes/Conversion Profile then choose Adobe RGB (1998). Then when you choose print choose Advanced/Colour Management/Same as Source (no colour management). This link may also offer useful info http://blog.gilbertconsulting.com/2009/03/convert-color-pdf-to-grayscale-in.html