Aqueous coating 2002 SM74

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by swilson513, Dec 30, 2010.

1. swilson513

swilson513 Member

When doing spot aqueous coating do you just under pack the blanket where you don't want any coating?

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

You can do it one of a few different ways. You could cut the packing under the blanket but you will not get a very clearly defined coating line. This method is not recomended if there is a need for any kind of close registration of coating to print. The second method would be to buy strippable blankets and cut the top layer off the blanket very precisely with an exacto knife or razor blade then "peel" off the top layer of blanket in all areas not to be coated. This method offers a bit more registration potential but still will result in some variation, and a coating line thats not as crisp as it could be. If your doing rerun work and can reuse this blanket multiple times its a pretty economical way of spot coating, however great care must be used to not cut too deeply into the blanket or you will find it offering poor dimensional stability as a result of cutting into the blankets foundation and shorten blanket life. I guess if you want to really get it done on the cheap you could even cut a used printing blanket and anquish over trying to cut and peel the top ply off. If a "crisp" coating line with good registration is desired the best way to go is to have a polyester coating plate CAD plotted, and cut by machine. This option will offer the most dimensional stability, and closest tolerances in registration. it can be placed in the clamps of your coating cylinder and can be registered just with the clamps beyond the registration limits on your console to include "cocking" What works best for you will depend on the variables i mentioned along with the consideration of cost. I myself prefer the CAD cut polyester plate option hands down, but it should be mentioned that its not my bottom line being affected by my preference as its without a doubt the most costly.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011