Anti Set off powder or other ways to prevent prints to stick

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Rainier Zamora, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Rainier Zamora

Rainier Zamora New Member

Hello,

Are there other ways to prevent paper prints to stick with each other aside from using the Anti Set off powder? We have this issue that it still sticks together. Can somebody suggest other ways to prevent them from sticking?

Thank you! We'll really appreciate the help!

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

My first suggestion would be to make certain that the powdering unit is performing properly. This would include mechanical and electrical soundness, proper powder for your particular application, proper amount of powder applied. Id also be looking at the total ink coverage as determined by your pre press curves. There is some mixed feelings in the industry as to what the highest total ink coverage should be. My feelings are that on a decent quality gloss coated sheet WITHOUT inline coating you would be flirting with disaster in running anything over 280%. Some would say that 300% is doable but I think that 300% is getting into dangerous territory when you consider some of the limiting factors.
    There is also the issue of drying. Are you running any sort of dryer on the press? If not installation of a decent infrared dryer would aid in the reduction of offsetting and blocking issues. Just remember that more is not better when it comes to heat. Id be trying to keep pile tempetures to no more than 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Any more heat than this will wind up distorting the sheet.
    Im assuming in all this that your press crew is experienced enough to know proper ink water balance and proper delivery technique. Printed sheets should be delivered to the pile with minimum blowdown air to offer good sheet control. Too much fan speed or delivery blower pressure will offset even a form with only 100% total ink coverage. Be aware that when I refer to total ink coverage I'm NOT talking about what percentage of the sheet has ink coverage but how much TOTAL ink layering is going on in any given area. The really deep and rich blacks that are so desirable when using the cmyk gamut can have great effect on a forms ability to run without setoff.