Alcolor dampening unit roller setting

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Ray, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Ray

Ray Member

Dear all...

I was wondering if anyone can give me the instruction how to set up dampening unit roller on alcolor machine in the proper way.

Any help is appreciated.

Rgds.
    Ray

2. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Which press you are running? Alcolor is pretty easy to set, you can do it with rollers inked up or without ink.

3. Ray

Ray Member

I am running MOV press. My friends also told me the same thing. It is pretty easy to set. I just wanted to know the proper basic setting. The setting I did is different each unit. The press is running well. But why is the setting in each unit is different one another.

Rgds
    Ray

4. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Are you talking about different dampening volume for all units?
    It depends on many factors like, different behavior of inks, difference in roller sizes or mechanical wear n tear level of units.
    I never ran MOV so I cant tell you exact strip widths for each roller or exact setting sequence but what I do on 102 is, remove the Z roller and metering roller, then ink up the roller train, insert Z roller and Crawl the press and adjust it on both sides by turning the screws in until you see ink on Z roller and form dampening roller. Be cautious when doing this, as the press is crawling, then stop the press and check the strip width between Z roller and Form dampener, setting between Z roller and 1st ink form is adjusted automatically by spring tension, after that set the strip width between form and matte chrome cylinder.
    Insert the Metering roller and adjust it to pan roller by squeezing off the water to ends, at this point turn the adjustment 1 1/2 turns more clockwise and lock the metering roller, drain the water from the pan,
    dry the metering roller with a clean rag and adjust the metering to form roller. You need to wait around 30 sec to get a clear strip. adjust the strips if needed, make sure the plate cylinder gap is not in the rollers contact area.
    Through the water form and ink form rollers to plate and adjust the contact strip width of the water form.
    You can use Opaque white or yellow ink to adjust the rollers, as it is easy to see the contact strip.

5. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

sounds about right to me with just one addition. I make it a point to try and run the press up on speed for a bit to get some heat into the rollers before I adjust any roller settings. You then know that the rollers are close to their actual running dimensions.

6. Jmiyo

Jmiyo Member

Hi, aqazi81, I'm running an an I color press and I used to remove the z roller and the metering roller first, then adjust the dampening roller with the oscillator,then put the z roller and adjust it with the dampening form roller, then z roller with ink form roller( 1st inking roller for CD 102),insert the metering roller and adjust with dampener and metering with water pan roller, last dampener to plate, my question, is it the right way to do it. Thks for reply

7. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Looks ok...but set the metering roller with pan roller first then to the dampening form. You can also set the rollers without removing the z roller.

8. JimB888

JimB888 New Member

The correct sequence for an SM102 is to set the water form roller to the matte chrome roller, then water form roller to plate, then Z(bridge roller) to the water form roller, then Z to the 1st ink roller, however, Z can only be set if the 1st ink form roller is set correctly. The next setting is the chrome metering roller to the water form roller, preferably when the chrome is dry. The last setting is water pan roller to the metering roller which is water away plus...? Some like to go 1 full revolution but the true specification is a half turn. There is no need to preheat the rollers because the thermal expansion of rubber is negligible (10^-6) and the rollers have a chiller unit to keep them within operating limits. Trusting revolution or face of nut counts is futile, check the actual stripes with a gauge since most machines have thread play.

sornchai likes this.