alcohol free

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by jetscreamer, Apr 23, 2015.

1. jetscreamer

jetscreamer Senior Member

Hi Just started running alcohol free on a L528, seems not to bother it.
    My question is because there is no IPA does the font solution still needs to be chilled? I ran a job today at room temperature font and it was ok.

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

I believe its even more important to keep fountain solution chilled and at correct temp when running alcohol free. My recommendation would be to keep the fountain solution temp (measured in the pan) as opposed to the tank at about 7 degrees fahrenheit cooler than ambient pressroom air.

3. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

As Turbotom mentioned, with alcohol free printing, you need to keep the temperatures as low as 8 to 10 degrees C. The reason for this is, that IPA increases the viscosity of the water and without IPA you need to lower the temperature to compensate for the viscosity change without IPA.

4. Chapman

Chapman New Member

Colder the better because a press gets hot in long runs and also long runs will make the job smut over time when running heavy ink. I sometimes have to splash some alcohol in my water units.

5. Jimma

Jimma Member

The 28 should have roller chillers on it so not such a problem alco free doesn't usually give you problems for about 2 to 3 months thats when you start getting build up in the rollers and and algiside problems if your not careful thats when the shore hardness of your rollerd etc gets questioned as they recon to use softer formes ,temp wise manufacturers usually recommend around 8 to 10 in the trough even without alcohol but not really sure why shouldn't alter tension etc

6. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

It is strongly recommended when printing without alcohol to maintain your roller periodically and also use system cleaners for you recirculators weekly or fortnightly.

7. glenner

glenner Member

Cant run fast if your not chilled .