Advice on a Printer for Small Runs

Discussion in '11 x 17 Color Laser Printers' started by jmmcdona, Nov 9, 2013.

1. jmmcdona

jmmcdona New Member

I am starting a new side business with one of my children and need advice on a printer. Initially, we will need to print 11x17 prints (or 12x18) in full color. I estimate coverage of most sheets at less than 30%. We plan to print on high gloss heavier paper (and I don't exactly know the weight...at least 90lb). I'd prefer full bleed, but could get creative and use the white space of a small border in the design so that isn't essential. In the beginning I doubt we would be printing more than 500 or 600 pages per month. The items being printed will come directly off of a desktop publishing program off the computer. I don't really have a budget in mind, though I'd like to start as inexpensively as possible until we know if this is going to "take off" for him (he's only 11 but very sharp and ambitious). If the cost is low enough I will probably purchase two printers for redundancy.

Effectively, this is a print on demand kind of situation with hundreds of designs that will be printed at the time of order.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Both on the printer and sources of the print stock.

2. Scorotron

Scorotron Member

Budget-wise, plan on at least $5,000 to start with equipment(1machine) and material and the inevitable waste during start up/learning process. Then supplies, depending on what equipment you choose plan on $1,000 plus for those depending on the yield. Once you've spent all that money, you'll find out that the margins are so thin unless your printing 100,000 pages/mo. its not worth it. Sell equipment for 1/2 what you paid and buy a hot dog cart.
    Sorry man, its not as easy as "setting up shop" its brutal.

3. PSA Toner

PSA Toner New Member

for high gloss heavy paper maybe can try Fuji Xerox Docucentre C5005