ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!! Full Color CMYK offset printjob

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by dmmclean, Sep 9, 2016.

1. dmmclean

dmmclean New Member

Hi there,
    I am a graphic designer and have created a medical educational poster. I am trying to figure out the best way to print it (let me know if this is not the correct section to print). Would be a run of a 1000 so it will be offset. Would really appreciate any advice on this. Here is what I have so far....

The poster is 28" x 36", it's three figures standing with a white background, some text here and there. I want it to be durable, so I was thinking synthetic paper would be the way to go - Polyart or Yupo. Seems like these only come 25" wide, are there other solutions you can think of? That paper is really expensive too. We could shrink it down to 25" but don't want to. How durable are the inks printed on these synthetic papers and how durable is the final product? Can anyone think of a better method?

A printer I got a bid from mentioned that there is a Spot gloss UV they can add for a price. Anyone know what that is, does it exist? I know similar educational posters are laminated and I want to avoid doing that because it looks clunky, so looking to do this another way, hence the synthetic paper. But what about a thick natural paper with a spray coating? Any ideas? One press said I should try a UV printing press. What is the difference with a UV press, just different inks, more durable?

Thank you!!
    David

2. spikeboy

spikeboy Senior Member

Hi david run your poster 28x40 4colors and uv coating uv will hold up
    better than traditional inks and vaarnish. This paper size is common and availible in variety
    UV WILL BE LESS LIKELY TO FADE OVER TIME

3. dmmclean

dmmclean New Member

Thanks for the response. How much more expensive are UV inks?

4. spikeboy

spikeboy Senior Member

not that much worth the longevity