Adjusting form-to-plate pressure on an AB Dick 9810?

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by lantz_xvx, Jun 27, 2010.

1. lantz_xvx

lantz_xvx Senior Member

Hey all,

New to this forum, and to offset printing in general. I've searched the forum, as well as the entire internet for information regarding this AB Dick 9810 XCS, but have so far found nothing.

My plate (using laser poly plates) was picking up a ton of ink on the non-operator side, even when running extremely heavy water and setting the general ink level to zero. I have found where to adjust the form-to-plate pressure and it's gotten a little better - though I also switched fountain solutions and defied the printing gods by nixing the gross isopropyl alcohol, so I'm not sure which of those things improved it. Whereas the plate was picking up a ton of ink in the non-image area on the operator side in about 30 seconds, I've gotten it to where it can go for over a minute before it starts to pick up any at all. Of course, this is still not ideal when you're trying to print 1,000 copies of something.

The mind-boggling thing is that the operator's manual says absolutely nothing about making these adjustments, or any other adjustments to any of the rollers. You'd think it would be a pretty important thing to include. I had to e-mail the guy I bought it from, who told me where to make the adjustments, but also said that he always just over-compensated by running heavy water. I don't really want to do this.

I'm not sure which way is up or down; in other words, I don't know which way to turn the screws of the form roller adjustment in order to solve the problem. I've read that the same problem can occur if the pressure is either too tight or too loose.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I've tried everything!

Thanks!

- lantz.

2. lantz_xvx

lantz_xvx Senior Member

Anyone?

72 views and no replies... can anyone help me figure this one?

- lantz.

3. Printer Mike

Printer Mike Member

It's been a long time since I made roller adjustments on my 9870. Seems like it's a very simple adjustment. If you take off the side covers and scope things out it may become obvious. It has to be an eccentric adjustment close to the side frames... Good luck. I will look at my press next time I'm at the shop.

4. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

Adjusting form roller pressure is done with a couple screws you either tighten to bring your roller in our out. You are better off looking up what your pressure should be before messing with things or get someone in that has done them before.

5. Juan Ortega

Juan Ortega New Member

I have a few pointers let me know if you still have issues with the press.
    Regards

6. printerdan

printerdan Member

Set the water form to plate stripe at 4mm, 3/16in. A bit more or less will not make a dramatic difference.
    You mentioned you found how to perform this. Just as important is the form to oscillator stripe. The water starts at the fountain pan and must travel from roller to roller eventually getting to the plate. The last roller which meets the form is the oscillator. You may have little to no contact from the oscillator to form on the non-op side.
    Ballpark setting would be 3mm, 1/8in.

You did not mention what type of dampening system the press has.

7. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

Hello Lantz,
    With the type of plate your using to much pressure is counter productive. Form rollers for that plate type should be 1/8" and lower form roller 5/32". The water dwell should be parallel to your water waver (oscillator) roller. The press you described originally has an alcohol system the water ductor should be chrome with a rubber pan roller. This system uses 25% (8 ounces per quart) alcohol (99% anhydrous) mixed with fountain solution. I have gone into detail on the A.B.Dick adjustments on other post. The manual that comes with the press is an operating manual. To get a service manual is only available to those that take the manufacture training two week class or take my print training class at Fullerton College, CA 92832.

Glenn

8. alibryan

alibryan Senior Member

Have you found a solution to your problem(s) yet?

9. nicktika

nicktika Member

Hi could you please send me a copy of the user manual, i'm trying to teach myself as well at qprintja@gmail.com