adios Docutechs. (end of an era)

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by peels, Sep 1, 2016.

1. peels

peels tree killer :)

little off topic-ness today....

Our last Xerox docu-engined printer has been scrapped. and I feel sad and glad. 14 yrs now Iv'e been ripping them apart.... its like they were a part of me LOL You know...constantly rebooting....finding workarounds for them.... robbing parts... :) at one point, we had 16 of them. I had the last two stalwarts in my room, including a highlight color 128(yuk), which left last year...and a MICR 180, which just left last weekend. I kept the "state of the art in 1990" touch screen, which took us a full week to find. As a memento. fun fact: Turns out, those old tubed touchscreens were made a few blocks away from where I grew up in San Jose, CA.

the last 3 months, every service call was a week long exercise in patience. 1 error became 5. recently it sheared a set pin from the main drive pulley.... which then rolled off, ate through a wire, and shorted out the high voltage power supply. that was fun. The frame for the fuser was broken, and heavily modified. I had Jerry rigged it so much...

it was 15 yrs old, with 200 million prints on it. this last time, the engineer, threw his hands up, backed away slowly, and said "someone from sales might be contacting you" now...iv'e heard some weird stuff from Xerox before, but never "we give up, BYE!" HAHAHAAAA

i say I'm sad, but really... its like a tonsilectomy. it wasnt doing me any good. and Ill feel better soon :) if youve worked on them, you'll understand.

anyways, Bye Felicia.

[​IMG]

2. Swifty2

Swifty2 Senior Member

they took away our doc120 last year...... I miss her ..but not the jams or the mis-stapled jobs LOL

3. peels

peels tree killer :)

its been 1 month since Ive pulled a PR belt drawer out to clean, inspect, or replace it. an almost daily experience, no more. :( :)

I feel institiutionalized :)