Absolute Frustration with Phaser 7400... Alternative suggestions please!

Discussion in '11 x 17 Color Laser Printers' started by lighttekkie, Dec 15, 2009.

1. lighttekkie

lighttekkie New Member

Hello,

I have a Phaser 7400 that I've been using. In the last 8 months we've probably spent around $2100 in consumables and lately I've noticed horrible colour degradation.

As I've seen other folks post, of course the cost of consumables, but also we have the clicking noise and that colour problem. If I knew how or what to do to fix it I would. Our images are starting to come out Grainy (as though the machine forgot to print in parts). Its mostly turning up in dark blues and sometimes in dark reds. Its terrible for quality and does not create a document you wish to send to a client. I ended up asking the other receptionist to print it out on our multifunction fax machine and it turned out looking like a different document all together! Photographs and graphics look like absolute garbage!

We do engineering so we need a printer that can print the 11 x 17s and in very good quality (you don't want to send grainy crap to a client!). We also often end up sending out photographs in packages. So I need the ability to do those CAD files as well as the photos.

Anyone have any recommendations for 11 x 17 colour laser printers that have worked well for them and aren't through the roof on consumables?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Xerox wants us to do a trade in for a Phaser 7760DN but really if its just the same problems, I'd rather not.

Thanks guys!

2. o@v001

o@v001 New Member

Well for me i think phaser 7760 is better that 7400 because the design is very good also you can try phaser 7500 or oki 9500 that is the same 7400 but maybe the consumables are cheap, also you can try the canon cr 3200 this is a good machine, personaly i don't know that machine but i read good reviews of this machine so ask to someone that know it better.

3. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi, I use both. Please look carefully at the way paper travel trough Phaser 7760 - paper path is like "S" from a by pass. It will come out curled no matter what causing nightmare for bindery. Phaser 7400 is somewhat relabeled OKI C9800. It has perfectly straight paper path and by-pass twice the capacity of 7760. Think twice. Where are you located? I might be able to help you with mechanics on your 7400. I have few OKI 9800 that are in nice condition but have bad HDD's. Generally we can swap the assemblys - registration, etc till it works as it should. You may contact me @ UnlimitedBT@yahoo.com Roman.